New guy

ericl23

Dec 3, 2013
Just wanted to say hello. I'm a new hunter from LB. I have my guns and license and plan on taking a few of the hunting courses through the cdfw to improve my knowledge. In the process of purchasing some hunting boots and was wondering if you guys could recommend a good place to try on some boots? I've been to REI but they seemed to have a limited selection.

Thanks

Eric

Welcome.
In this area the only place I know of that has a decent boot selection is Bass Pro Shop in Rancho Cucamonga. Maybe some other guys will chime in with some other places as well. You may have luck as a work boot warehouse as well (not sure)
There is a thread down in guns, bows and gear about boots.

Lungpopper

No not really. Since I have don't have any experience I'm going off what I read in the forums. So Something comfortable, durable. I'm open to any recommendations.

Thanks

Eric

Welcome. If u plan on hiking and hunting for years get the best pair you can. I have a pair of winter expedition boots I have had for 15 years. They were $500 new. They still look near new with lots and lots of trips. I can carry 75+ lbs for over a week on the snow and do light ice climbing with. However 90% of the time I have on my bates 9" side zip duty boots. I wear them everyday 12+ hours a day rain or shine 20deg to 120deg. They cost 150 ish with vibram soles and goretex water proofing. However my wife hunts about 10-20 days a year and got a great pair from bass pros for about 200 and they are good from about 20deg to 100+ deg and after 2 years they look great.

Bass pro in rancho is the best local place I'd say.

go buy something that feels comfy and maybe has some good reviews. You will need to learn what you want and what works for your style and type of hunting. A billion variables from hot to cold to stiff to light weight and so on.

One option for you is to buy a bunch off of cabelas, They actually encourage you to order many and send back what you do not like.

A simple pair of light med hight boots with a gortex liner will kill it for you. Don't over think it

Worry later about getting job specific boots for load caring or light ice climbing :)

Check this thread, mentioned above:
http://southerncaliforniahunting.com/huntersforum/index.php/topic,4779.msg38721.html#msg38721

... and welcome to the forum!

I am going to stop by REI, adventure 16 and Bass Pro Shops. If I can't seem to find any there I will order online.

Thanks again

Eric

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu