New hunter in SD & have some basic hunting questions

Bearded Vet

Hello everyone,
I am from Oklahoma and have hunted out there when I was growing up, but haven't been able to after I joined the military. I will be back into the sport this year.I have a couple questions about the what scopes to use out here. I will be purchasing a new rifle soon Weatherby 300 win mag, mainly for deer hunting and possibly hog as well. However it is the scope I am having difficult time deciding on and getting mixed messages about what to use. I have a few buddies that hunt and they say to get an optic with 15x or more. One is using a 6.5-24x50 and the Leupold 6-18x40

BV........Welcome to SCH and thank you for your service........I know that the higher powered scopes are very popular nowadays, but with the exception of when I was little, all my big game animals have been taken with fixed 4x or 3x9 scopes. I think more important is buying the best scope you can afford......I like Leupold Vari 3's......2 cents.

Well with that caliber you may be a little over gunned for our deer. But it's on the mark to cover all of the BG in North America.
Normally 3-9 is all you need but for that caliber I would go higher so I could see the target better at 600yds.
I like Ziess

Thanks for your service!

It's a lot of gun, but certainly not that bad for our deer......This little guy was taken with .300 Win Mag.....No more meat ruined than any other caliber..... ;)

Attachments

• IMG_9264.JPG
    IMG_9264.JPG
    626.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_9273.JPG
    IMG_9273.JPG
    658.9 KB · Views: 15
These guys have demos that have the full waranty and a great discount

Buy once cry once:)

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/zeiss.pl?page=zeiss_conquest_hd5_3-15x42

Well that's a beautiful rifle and caliber if you've got a shoulder that can take some punishment. You're likely to kill whatever you hit with it, but shot placement is key as always to avoid spoilage. If you hit the shoulder, that will be one less quarter you'll need to carry out.

If you have a choice between better glass and higher magnification or zoom range, go with the better glass. Also keep in mind the ranges at which you are comfortable shooting. The new Zeiss conquest HD I I got from a friend has a 50mm objective and only a 1" tube, so elevation adjustment from zero is limited to only 9 MOA. On my .233, it will do fine for varmints out to 450yds. 30mm tube and 40-42mm objective may be a better combination. Go to a good gun shop and look through their scopes to make sure the optics are clear for you.

Glad to have you on SCH Bearded Vet. And thank you for your service to out country!

Back