New Hunter

HughMadBro

Sep 17, 2015
Hi all, HughMad here.

I've been shooting for as long as I can remember, one uncle and both grandfathers were LEOs, and lots of Navy men and Marines in the family will do that. I currently own a 10/22 and am getting a 1911 out of gun jail next week. I've mostly not collected any of my own firearms since shooting has always been a family activity and would just use my dad's guns when we went to the range, and his widow is giving me a hard time about passing them down, so my guns are what I've got for the time being.

Anyway don't wanna be a total bummer. My wife and I have raised coturnix quail for a few years and I'd like to know more about small game and upland hunting. I'd like to know what people would recommend for a first shotgun to buy that will work for myself and the wife. She will need something with a decent aftermarket as she has a hard time with the LOP on the 10/22 and would probably need a smaller stock. I was looking at H&R single shot 20GA but I've heard there are issues with big felt recoil out of them due to the simple actions, I'd need a good option to lessen that in case it turns out to really turn off myself or the wife from shooting.

I'm very interested in people's opinions of the High Desert Hunt Club at Tejon. It sounds brilliant to have an area so close to me that seems like it might be stocked with birds?

Thanks for getting through this, let me know if you have suggestions on first-time shotgun buys and decent places to try out hunting for the first time.

Welcome Hugh. That sucks about your dad's guns, but I hope you can work something out w his widow. Is she anti-gun?
I was exactly in your shoes regarding "family plan" gun use till I started hunting out here a couple years ago, and the folks on this forum helped me immensely. Prepare to drink from the fire hose! Joining a club in order to hunt private land is a great idea for anyone who can afford it.

Glad to have you aboard

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu