New Rifle!!

Shmee22

Apr 19, 2014
So I just got a new savage 7MM Mag with a 24 inch barrel. I'm shooting a 140 gr bullet. My question is how far does this caliber usually go up to and with knock down power?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What bullet will you be shooting,

140 class projectiles are not ideal. Using 1000flb as a min for deer size game you are only going to get out to about 750yards.

Now if your barrel can shoot the 162gr eld x bullets you can keep 1000flb out to like 940yards.

That's a long long long long ways. Even 750 yards is forever far. Get lots of practice

What bullet will you be shooting,

140 class projectiles are not ideal. Using 1000flb as a min for deer size game you are only going to get out to about 750yards.

Now if your barrel can shoot the 162gr eld x bullets you can keep 1000flb out to like 940yards.

That's a long long long long ways. Even 750 yards is forever far. Get lots of practice

168gr Bergers are the best I've found for my 7mag. HSM sells them as factory loads for us rookies who haven't (yet) started loading our own. Great rounds. They are not cheap, however.

My dad gave me some ammo he has reloaded and one box is the hornandy 140 with 57 gr powder. I'll have to check what the other box is. I believe they are Barnes projectiles. Scope is an old wide angle tv scope weaver. I'll upload pics later today

not and expert here as some of the guys here, but my thoughts is look at charts for bullet ballistic coefficient and the the suggestion given above. this should enlighten you why they have chose the specific manufactures and gr. yes some the heavier weight is actually more stable , according to what I have read. for long long distance. for short and medium range it is probably fine.

732b39c9c7141fb1f3308c2a7c6b0fef.jpg

1ea1081efb0731fe2651c488df2fbfcf.jpg

That scope is interesting. I've never seen one like it. What's the scoop?

That scope is interesting. I've never seen one like it. What's the scoop?

It's a weaver V9-W II, wide angle. It's pretty cool, it's just not as clear as I want, would like to get a nice Nikon or Vortex

Reactions: Bonejour
That is the design of the scope I shoot with in the Carolinas. It is on a rifle which has been passed down for thirty years so far. When I use it, I can't figure out why they switched to circular. Wide angle (left to right) is what you really want.
Very nice!

I have a similar Weaver fixed 4x that I got at a SCI dinner (Bill Poole's estate).......Vintage 50 & 60's I think.

Yeah the scope is actually my dads old scope that I believe he bought in the late 60s or 70s. The scope has been a culprit in harvesting many deer lol. Hopefully another one this year with my new rifle

7mm Magnum will shoot farther than I can, and I'm not THAT bad.

Sent from my Baofeng UV-5R using Tapatalk

I would recommend the vortex viper great scope . Got one this year for my new rifle also a 7mm . Next year I want to start reloading so I can get some custom turrets

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu