New to Hunting in CAL

Discussion in 'Small Game' started by Nickada1212, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Nickada1212

Nickada1212 New Member

Good Afternoon,

Just looking to see if anyone knows any good spots to hunt rabbits in the Rancho Bernardo/Escondido area. Or if anyone would like a hunting partner I just bought my first air rifle and am very interested in getting out there after em.

-Nick

2. ilovesprig

ilovesprig Moderator
    Staff Member

Nick,

Shooting a pellet gun (or BB gun) in both Rancho Bernardo (City of San Diego) and Escondido is illegal.....There is some county land around both these cities (I live on county in Escondido).....It is legal for me to shoot rabbits on my own property......If you could find someone to let you hunt on county lands, you'd be good to go.

ps.....The open land and sod farms around the Wild Animal Park is City of San Diego. Hence, it's illegal to shoot rabbits there.....Although, I know a number of folks have shot rabbits in and around those areas.......;)

3. Crosman999

Crosman999 Active Member

Welcome!! California is a great place to hunt with an Airgun. What kind did you get?

4. s06deluxe

s06deluxe New Member

Hello i'm new to the forum and also new to hunting rabbits. would like to know where there are areas that I can hunt rabbits using my .22 rifle. i live in the LA area

5. Gspman

Gspman Well-Known Member

In the mountains, dessert, public and private land (with written permission) where it is legal and safe to discharge a fire arm.

6. ilovesprig

ilovesprig Moderator
    Staff Member

I think the nearest areas would be Lancaster to Ridgecrest (Hwy 14), especially with a rifle.

7. Gspman

Gspman Well-Known Member

Yup wide open BLM land.

8. Jason Wilson

Jason Wilson New Member

Helo, I'm newbie. Thank you

9. Chris Hanson

Chris Hanson New Member

Nick,
    The Cleveland National Forest is a great place to hunt if you don't mind the hike. go by the ranger station in alpine, pick up a map and start scouting, its def an adventure! Hope this helps, good luck!