New to hunting in SD, interested in coyote

JayBacon

Feb 24, 2017
Hello everyone, my name is Jay and I recently got stationed here at 32nd street Naval base. I'm interested in hunting coyote around the area, maybe at Camp Pendleton or elsewhere. Not much experience in that area but I'm ready to learn and would love to accompany some of you folks if you ever need a helper to tag along. Hope y'all are having a good winter.

Jay,

Welcome to SCH.......Well, you've picked one of the easiest forms of hunting here in SoCal.....Not necessarily the easiest to get a coyote, but the easiest to get into.

Hand calls are very reasonably priced and pretty easy to use. And many a dog have been lured in with them.....The fancier you get with electric calls, the more it will cost you.....Up to you what you want to spend.

The other easy part is there's coyote almost everywhere and they're on almost all public lands we have here in SoCal.....Imperial Valley isn't that far from SD and it's loaded.....Although, you can get them during the day, night time hunting is allowed as well.....Good lighting is good to have.

One more thing that makes them easy to hunt is, almost any rifle will do.....The farther you want to shoot, the more you can spend on a firearm.....Again, that's up to you.

Good luck

Reactions: msailor
Jay,

I too am new to the area since I got stationed here in Dec. I've been trying to find land to hunt, or how to find public land. Biggest thing is I just want to get started hunting.

Hopefully in the next few weeks I'll be calling some dogs in. Have you had a chance to get out yet?

Reactions: msailor
Welcome to form lots of yotes on pendleton but they have not let us out in weeks due to rain and dirt road conditions. Pm me and I will give you the info of how to get your range pass and other info about hunting on the base.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Welcome Jay, and thanks for your service. There are some good, free magazines with helpful articles to help you get started without breaking the bank. One good one is Predator xtreme. I'll get you the link to the digital format.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu