New to hunting in SOCAL

Nickada1212

Jan 3, 2017
Good Evening everyone,

I grew up an avid hunter the only problem I did it all while I lived in Upstate New York. I have been living in San Diego for a little over a year now and I have been doing a lot of researching into where to hunt around here. I am an avid duck hunter but for the time being I could settle for just shooting some small game. I recently purchased an air rifle and I was just looking for some info on where I could go out and use it, and where my best chances would be to shoot something. Thanks for any help!

- Nick

Air rifle- get onxmap app on your phone, find area shaded blm, or national forest and you're good to go as long as you have your hunting license.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Yep and to get hunting license. You have to have had a previous hunter safety class. Or take it here. Study the regs. And make sure it is in season. Jack's are all year exception are some wildlife areas. Which can change. Stay up to date. Read Read the regulations. The green guys are unforgiven

Nick,
Welcome to the forum. As mentioned, you need a Hunter Ed number and if you don't have one, you need to take the course so you get one. Then you can get a license to hunt. Just make sure you get the upland bird and waterfowl stamps on the license. Then go play. By the way, How did you hunt waterfowl in New York? I take it you didn't bring the shotgun with you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also...if you plan on killing snakes and other reptiles, you will need a fishing license. I didn't even bother figuring that one out.

Reactions: Bonejour
You do not need a CA hunters ed to get a CA license all you need is a copy of your old hunting license from any state. This is a common mistake people make but really you could buy a one day license in AZ for $20 online and then go down to any sporting goods store and get a CA hunting license. AZ does not require a hunters ed class to get a license. I know some of you are going to hate me posting this but it is the truth and it works.
I do believe in hunters safety all of my kids, my wife, and myself have taken the CA hunters safety course. But if I have a friend who has hunted out of state this loophole works great. Likewise if Nickada 1212 has already completed the course in NY that will suffice for getting a Ca license if he has proof.

Crazy. I had hunted in VA and Pennsylvania, but when I tried to get a license in CA in 2013, I couldn't do it without a Hunter Ed number. Also couldn't have OTC elk tags in CO without a Hunter Ed number this past October. Maybe I am just missing some workaround, but having a hunter ed number sure makes it brainless to get licenses and tags for just about anywhere, with the exception of a few places in AK.

Ya kind of frustrating for me since I lost one of my CA licenses I just used my AZ to get another CA license. Now it puts down my source as AZ license rather than hunters ed. I need to call DFG and see if they can change that.

Nick,
Welcome to the forum. As mentioned, you need a Hunter Ed number and if you don't have one, you need to take the course so you get one. Then you can get a license to hunt. Just make sure you get the upland bird and waterfowl stamps on the license. Then go play. By the way, How did you hunt waterfowl in New York? I take it you didn't bring the shotgun with you?

No all of my shotguns and deer rifles are still in New York, I didn't want to deal with the headache of bringing them here when I'm only here for a little while longer. So I just bought the air rifle the other day to have some fun with.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu