New to hunting on land.

Snake boots are tall very tall for a reason. Snake tend to bite up an 8 or 9" boot is not tall enough to protect for a snake that is coiled up and strikes high.

Gaters work very well like Sprig said

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw quail scouting today myself.......Should be a great recruitment year.

Ismael,

I don't know of any 8" snake boots......Snake gaiters go all the way down to the top of your boots.....Like I've stated before, snake boots have never fit me well.....Hence, my use of very comfortable Rattler Brand gaiters.

I'm just thinking of what I'll be doing to flush birds since I don't have a dog, I think I'm going to have to try out a lot of snake boots and see which are for me. Don't really feel like taking a risk kicking into brush with just gaiters. Thanks

I'm just thinking of what I'll be doing to flush birds since I don't have a dog, I think I'm going to have to try out a lot of snake boots and see which are for me. Don't really feel like taking a risk kicking into brush with just gaiters. Thanks
In addition to snake protection, gaiters make it easier to bust through brush. No need to worry about snagging a pant leg or thorns poking; my Turtleskins hold up really well in the thick stuff.

Reactions: Bonejour
I wear gators called Deerskins. They are great after a wearing them a few times you forget they are there. I wear them so I can stop thinking about snakes and keep focused on game. It's hard to hunt when your eyes are always looking down and your mind is on snakes. Snakes are everywhere it's something you have to just put in the back of your mind and push through. Hopefully I never get bit, but you have to go where the snakes are to get to where the game is.

Reactions: Ismael De La Torre
I wear gators called Deerskins. They are great after a wearing them a few times you forget they are there. I wear them so I can stop thinking about snakes and keep focused on game. It's hard to hunt when your eyes are always looking down and your mind is on snakes. Snakes are everywhere it's something you have to just put in the back of your mind and push through. Hopefully I never get bit, but you have to go where the snakes are to get to where the game is.

So you just wear regular hunting/hiking boots with gaitors?

I wear 10" Irish setters under my gators. It's not uncommon for me to have a 15 mile day through rough terrain. I like 10" boots for the support.

I've been doing some research on gun dogs and really like the Lab breeds and the GSP. I'm really leaning towards the GSP, I've seen some post of people not recommending Labs for upland hunt cause of the heat. Do any of you guys use Labs for upland? if so is the heat a big problem?

I'll answer the question with a waterfowling 1st bias and mentality.....My labs have always been really good upland dogs.....Do they point?.....Nope.....But, they find birds well (blush) and they retrieve like no other.....It's all about discipline (I've never used an e-collar).....And some of my labs over the years, have had very little of it, when it comes to pushing too far ahead of me.....The older they got, the better they got.....For the most part, I have had the taller, longer legged labs.....Runners.....And were in great shape for chukar, quail, & pheasant.

.IV_roosters_&_Doves_11-1999[1].jpg kelsoscodie_1987[1].jpg Rovanna,_Ca._10-82[1].jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Sigalert2012
I'll answer the question with a waterfowling 1st bias and mentality.....My labs have always been really good upland dogs.....Do they point?.....Nope.....But, they find birds well (blush) and they retrieve like no other.....It's all about discipline (I've never used an e-collar).....And some of my labs over the years, have had very little of it, when it comes to pushing too far ahead of me.....The older they got, the better they got.....For the most part I have had the taller, longer legged labs.....Runners.....And were in great shape for chukar, quail, & pheasant.

.View attachment 29790 View attachment 29791 View attachment 29792

thanks, cool pics

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu