New to hunting

Brandon85c

Aug 17, 2015
So I'm early 30s looking to learn to hunt... Was wondering if anyone can point me in the right dirrection. Already looking into the state class would really love to find someone to tag along with.
Prefer bow hunting

Sent from Motorola Droid Turbo

Start by going into the newbie threads. A lot of the questions you'll have will be answered in there.

I live in Mira Mesa and I'm always down for a road trip !

Newb form has alot of good reads posted here cuz was looking for a partner.

Brandon

have you had Hunter Safety Class? and Basic Safety Gun Handling. no offense but need to explain, most are hesitant to take in a newbie with no experience. have you been in the military? Hunting License requires a minimum of hunter safety class. and to purchase a long gun.
and to purchase a hand gun a gun safety test is required.
You may have done these Items but coming on here and saying you want to hunt, then more info is needed.
PM me if you like. I may show you the ropes. maybe start with small game, or pest control.

Ghost

Brandon,

Welcome to SCH.......Starting off with big game is tough and there's much more than just shooting an animal involved.........You can buy AO archery deer tags (basically, unlimited available), but just wondering around the NF, BLM, or wildlife areas is pretty futile. Spend as much time as you can in our east county scouting without firearms or bow before the season.....If you do decide to start off with deer. Try and find a deer trail and watch it.....Deer are moving long distances for water.....Lots of very visible trails out there.

Take your classes and get into small game or birds first (just like most youngsters do). And ask lots of questions about preparation, scouting, cleaning of animal, etc.......2 cents

Attachments

• IMG_20150817_0001.jpg
    IMG_20150817_0001.jpg
    919 KB · Views: 25
Yeah signing up for the basic course as for ca hunting class I'm prior service so I'm pretty I'd say I'm pretty well trained with a fire arm ghost, but like I said in my first post looking for bow hunting guns are a bit boring at this point.

Thank you and ilovesprig for all the info

I'm looking to tag along learn more so tracking, how to identify animals. I doubt I could care less about the killing aspect at this time. I just feel there is alot to learn aside from how to take the shot. Would love to be a helping hand and learn the fundimebtals vs wondering around cluess and just hope to kill something.

Brandon85c said:
Yeah signing up for the basic course as for ca hunting class I'm prior service so I'm pretty I'd say I'm pretty well trained with a fire arm ghost, but like I said in my first post looking for bow hunting guns are a bit boring at this point.

Thank you and ilovesprig for all the info

I'm looking to tag along learn more so tracking, how to identify animals. I doubt I could care less about the killing aspect at this time. I just feel there is alot to learn aside from how to take the shot. Would love to be a helping hand and learn the fundimebtals vs wondering around cluess and just hope to kill something.

That's fine AO tag is still an option, it starts next month.

Brandon, thanks for your service. I hope you can connect with a hunting buddy, but as you probably can see from the responses so far, you are not highly likely to find one by asking in this way.
However, we can offer you a lot of information to get you started. Use that info in the field, and you'll come back with more specific questions. To begin with, you'll need some maps and a compass. As prior military, you probably know as much about orienteering as about firearms which is good because to hunt with a bow requires a lot of time in your boots.
You'll see opportunities on this forum to get out and volunteer for events put on by hunting/conservation groups. Take every opportunity do do that, and you'll meet people who may trust you enough to take you hunting. My two cents.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu