new to site, upland bird hunting

kylemg0009

Jan 20, 2015
Costa Mesa, CA
Hello all, this is my first time on this forum or any forum at all!
I had my first quail hunt as of october, I know a group of guy in phoenix AZ that have been taking me out with their dogs and showing me the ropes, and I am completely addicted now.
I want to sometime avoid the 6 hour drive and would to find some great upland bird hunting locations within two hours from me, i live in Costa Mesa, CA.
I am thinking of going to Lake Perris' upland game reserve, I know its late in season and tough without a dog, but I'd at least like to try it and see if I can find some quail or rabbit. I called the park ranger and they said their quail season has not been very busy this year so I'm hoping there will be some healthy coveys left.
Any advice on some great bird locations? I know it's late season but thought i'd ask!

welcome to the site....

Was a very rough year rain wise, I am not saying do not go but its going to be rough to find a bird. So go and wander around a bit and see whats going on but do not let it bum you out.

Thank you for the insight. I'm not expecting too much but just getting out there is always nice, and a few dead quail or rabbits will only make it even better.

I have not hunted that reserve, but from what I have heard and from what I have seen of it, I recommend you go elsewhere. Someone else may have some more recent first-hand experience though.

Here is what I recommend you do if you are starting out quail hunting in southern CA: Buy the Cleveland National Forest Atlas, and BLM maps for socal as well. Southern CA is choked with private land, use your maps. You might also consider one of a number of map apps to assist you in finding suitable land. Google earth satellite imagery is a great way to do a little scouting any time you have a few minutes. Start exploring. There is a huge tract of national forest directly east of you, and well within your two hour time frame. I have not hunted in that area of the CNF, but I promise you there are birds there. You may have to go out many times before you get into birds because bird numbers in CA and in the southwest in general are very bad right now. Not only was last year not a good year for rain, but we are in a long-term drought that has decimated the bird population. There are isolated good numbers of birds in pockets of exceptional habitat. Finding those areas will be key. Look for water sources. Look for "edge habitat," where heavy cover that the birds can escape into meets sparser cover/meadows/canyon bottoms where the birds can feed and loaf around. Keep in mind, the season ends this Sunday, 1/25/15. Please don't hunt small coveys into extinction. We need those birds to re-populate when the winter/spring rains provide good conditions.

X2. Well said Kellendv. The section of CNF east of Costa Mesa is a hard hunt. Watch your access points. There's 1 access point that you can not legally carry a weapon through off the 241/91. Have heard of good size coveys but the area also has a big puma so stay alert. The further south you go in CNF through Orange/Riverside county, the harder the hunting gets. It'll turn into 8 foot tall bushes slam packed together so if you do see a quail, it's normally flushing straight across the trail and gone within a second. Don't let that deter you... I haven't been up there in a LONG time so who knows what may have changed. Keep after it and keep exploring new areas. You may be disappointed with the Lake Perris upland area. It's not very large and chances are, the birds would be up in the rocks on the hills instead of in the flat (if at all). Season ends on Sunday so get out there and give it a shot. Also good practice in the off season to get yourself a valley quail call and practice your "Chi-Ca-Go's". Learn their habits and see if you can get them to call you back to covey up. Quail aren't as predictable as other upland game so the more you know about them, the better off you'll be. Good luck.

Thank you all for the advice and tips. None of my buddies have their hunters education course requirement so looks like I might have to go solo this weekend. GSPman, if I head down to Niland i will most definitely shoot you a text. Looking forward to next year as the population increases with the bit of rain and snow we've had this year.

Unless you just want to walk with your gun, avoid L. Perris. There wasn't anything much there in good years. With this drought forget it.

2 dogs,

The upland portion of San Jacinto WA/Perris has never really had many quail......I hunted there back in the 60's and all the hills around there had coveys......Not really anymore......Encroachment is probably the biggest problem with that area.

Here's some birds near a guzzler on the area.

Attachments

• IMG_7960.JPG
    IMG_7960.JPG
    717 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_7962.JPG
    IMG_7962.JPG
    618.7 KB · Views: 32
ilovesprig said:
2 dogs,

The upland portion of San Jacinto WA/Perris has never really had many quail......I hunted there back in the 60's and all the hills around there had coveys......Not really anymore......Encroachment is probably the biggest problem with that area.

Here's some birds near a guzzler on the area.

Thanks ilovesprig! I figured as much...but man, what a disappointment from the 60s until now...

I scouted there today and was surprised by the number of dove I saw feedings. They had just plowed...momma's and their babies were all around. No signs of Quail.

Used to shoot a number of doves in that area......Remember, if you're going to hunt there, you'll need steel.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu