New tree stand....Swish

That's not a tree stand, Steve, that's a darn tree fort!
Looks comfy up there.
Nice trail cam pics.

Sigh... the hoidy-toidy priviledge of being on private property. :sob: Man... must be sooo nice. Meh... who knows... some day.

Looking good Steve
Dog start nocking on those doors if you want to hunt private you have to do the work

Reactions: nicapopolis
Latter stands are the most comfortable. But tough to set up on public. I try and sit on abandon ones just to see how comfortable they were. Much better than hang up stands. Lol

Hopefully next time I go out I'll remember to take a picture of this one tree I'd be potentially be interested to try a stand in. I've been meaning to do this so I could post up the picture to show you guys the way this large old oak looks, in order to ask the question..."How the heck would you hang a stand on this Tree??"

And I'm saying that because it seems people usually only throw up stands on trees that aren't all that thick. And... these old oaks we have, have very large thick side branches emanating off the main trunk.

I had contemplated the possibility of attaching some climbing steps on it with lag bolts... (just simple small 2x4 footholds, on the back side of it away from the hiking trails view so nobody would even know they are there) then climbing up to that large horizontal branch, and just sitting on it, strapped to the trunk for safety. Figuring that way I could save myself the weight of having to haul anything in.... at the expense of some comfort. (but could bring some sit pad for that)

Or, potentially later on hiking in some pre-cut wood pieces to put together and form a minimalistic sit chair and bolt it into that horizontal limb?

But I seem to recall hearing though that "permanently" attaching anything to the trees was like a big no-no? But to that I'd say, well, I could just un-bolt everything back off the tree at the end of the season then, right? Would that not be enough?

Curious if you guys know whats up with rules regarding that kind of thing.

Other thing I was considered was a tree sling, since those oaks are soo thick I think trying to figure out how to hang a stand would prove to be a nightmare. This particular oak... it's diameter is probably somewhere within 3-4ft. I know it's wider than my shoulders, and I have wide shoulders.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Sweet set up. Should be a nice camera angle?

But how dare you? Hoidy what? It’s becoming very clear how foggy everything really is.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu