Newbie here

Brian1183

Apr 19, 2017
Burbank
Hi all, new to the forum and new to hunting..been only doing a lil duck for the past two years... really want to get into boar/deer hunting for meat.

My pops was into hunting (black bear, pig and deer) when he was younger but hes into his 70s now and cant remember anything for the life of him...sadly when he was hunting, i wasn't even born yet (he had us late). He would tell me stories and as I got older i truly appreciated it, but by then he gave up hunting altogether. (got some nice rifles passed down though).

Been doing as much research as i can online, but it seems limited. Wondering if there are people doing hunts I can tag along on and learn. Want to learn the right way so that one day I can teach my kids (3yo and 1.5yo) to hunt..either way, ill be lurking and commenting when i can...i dont know much but ill try to help... pleasure to meet you all

Reactions: Moves and Bugsy71
Welcome Brian. Great to see new guys with kids wanting to pass down the traditions.

Lots of really great guys here that know ALOT. And most are very willing to share info.

Welcome. What area do you live? Also what equipment do you have.

Thanks everyone... I live in the Burbank area. In terms of gear, got my a few rifles, got some camo, im purchasing some bino's this weekend.

things im looking to get in the near future:
pack system
spotting scope

Welcome Brian......Burbank is a long way from Escondido, but I'll help you where I can.....Born & raised in "The Beach".....lol

Thanks everyone... I live in the Burbank area. In terms of gear, got my a few rifles, got some camo, im purchasing some bino's this weekend.

things im looking to get in the near future:
pack system
spotting scope

Burbank? We're neighbors. I live in the mountains on the other side of the hills. If you did not inherit a shotgun GET ONE. It's basically a must for so cal. Opens the doors to soo much more.

Burbank? We're neighbors. I live in the mountains on the other side of the hills. If you did not inherit a shotgun GET ONE. It's basically a must for so cal. Opens the doors to soo much more.

I have a cz redhead over/under i enjoy shooting at oak tree...i guess i only implied it with the duck hunting note...

I'am much closer to you Brian.live in Glendale close to Glendale high..
Shoot me any question and i will gladly do my best to answer it .

I'am much closer to you Brian.live in Glendale close to Glendale high..
Shoot me any question and i will gladly do my best to answer it .
Cool man, glad to know there are good resources near by...im curious.. have you guys done any hunting on public land...it seems pig is pretty hard to come by, but it seems deer is all over the place (according to harvesting data).. while i do respect guides and what they can provide, i dont respect those ridiculous prices they are asking... I would rather go yhe public labd route...due to cost and overall experience of learning to do it all

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

hey Brian as far as public land it is all over the place and it is no where. Its easy to find public land, its hard to find pigs especially on public land. the mountains around the area have deer everywhere and they are big BUT it is HARD hunting in VERY rough terrain. best route is Boots on the ground. ive been hiking off roading and hunting all over within 2-3 hours of this area all my life and its a hard place to hunt.

as far as guides.... if you add in gas, time, hotels, camping, as well as learning from a good guide all of a sudden the cost is not as bad as one might think. you will learn soo much from a good guide that teaches you. (ie.. Neil Ray of giant sequoia and others)

hey Brian as far as public land it is all over the place and it is no where. Its easy to find public land, its hard to find pigs especially on public land. the mountains around the area have deer everywhere and they are big BUT it is HARD hunting in VERY rough terrain. best route is Boots on the ground. ive been hiking off roading and hunting all over within 2-3 hours of this area all my life and its a hard place to hunt.

as far as guides.... if you add in gas, time, hotels, camping, as well as learning from a good guide all of a sudden the cost is not as bad as one might think. you will learn soo much from a good guide that teaches you. (ie.. Neil Ray of giant sequoia and others)
I just went to his website... $2k for a deer hunt? $600 for a pig? Wow, i get that they have expenses but i think some doctors get paid less than that...

i figured hiking and stalking is the way to go...thats essentially the "hunting" i wanna learn.. id love to go out and learn to stalk correctly, as well as learn to break down game in the field...just experience it all really.. if any of you need an extra set of hands id love to come and learn... Just as long as i get a bit of the meat to eat...nom nom

Btw... Any good recommendations for maps or regions to start hiking around...i figure scouting scouting ahead of time is the way to go?

Make sure you have OnXMaps. That was so clear from the get go. Paired up with a paper map u will be able to tell whether ur on private or public. Lol that saved me twice so far.

Just wanted to throw my 2¢ in there. I'm still a noob. Got much to learn. Btw I'm from Lancaster. And I travel a lot to Glendale.

Make sure you have OnXMaps. That was so clear from the get go. Paired up with a paper map u will be able to tell whether ur on private or public. Lol that saved me twice so far.

Just wanted to throw my 2¢ in there. I'm still a noob. Got much to learn. Btw I'm from Lancaster. And I travel a lot to Glendale.

i used to travel near lancaster too, when i used to race cars...=D...cool man... i heard about onx maps... do you think its better to just get the service for your phone? or would it be better to get an actual gps device and get the chip? different price points i know, but my phone has crappy battery life and i have a feeling, itll just drain out where there is no service

i used to travel near lancaster too, when i used to race cars...=D...cool man... i heard about onx maps... do you think its better to just get the service for your phone? or would it be better to get an actual gps device and get the chip? different price points i know, but my phone has crappy battery life and i have a feeling, itll just drain out where there is no service

Best would be to get a newer reliable phone that can hold a charge. Because even if ur somewhere without signal, if u cached the area onto ur phone, you can still use onXmaps. I have a Garmin 650t as well. Downside to the handheld GPS is that it drains the batteries fast. So I carry a portable charger and also spare batteries on me. Adds weight to your pack if u don't mind lugging all that around with you.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu