Newbie to Bowfishing

PACountryboy123

"My Idea of Heaven is Chasin' Whitetail Bucks"
Dec 3, 2013
Wildomar, CA
Hey guys, I'm new to the sport of bowfishing. Looking to delve head first into it though. Picked up a bow this week that I'm going to outfit as my bowfishing rig, and was just seeing if anyone local wanted to get together and maybe do some shooting and give me some tips. I live in the Temecula Valley area, and am hoping to use Lake Elsinore (I live 10 min from there) as my "home base", but would love to venture to Big Bear and SD as well. Thanks guys!

Yes, I got into archery hunting a few years ago (mostly gun since I was a kid). Got the archery bug, but I've read and heard that Bowfishing can be very different and would like to practice and gain some knowledge with someone who has more experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Get yourself a cheap real and safety slides you don't want to lose an eye do to an arrow snapping back, get some bow fishing arrows due t the fact that they are specially designed for this use. Get a bow with no let off due to the quick shooting nature of the sport. anyway if you want any more tps pm me

Chris K said:
Get yourself a cheap real and safety slides you don't want to lose an eye do to an arrow snapping back, get some bow fishing arrows due t the fact that they are specially designed for this use. Get a bow with no let off due to the quick shooting nature of the sport. anyway if you want any more tps pm me
So this is sort of right. Many beginners start of with retrievers since you don't have to push a button like you do of a spin cast. The down side is you cant reel in as fast as you can with a spin cast. For a newb I would recommend a muzzy reel and buy a few extra take up pins in case you forget to push the button. The safety slides will work of surface fish, but plane at depths. If you run Dacron stick with the slides but if you use fast flight, muzzy pro line, or monkey wire the line will break before it snaps back. If you run one of those lines on a spin cast you can tie to the back without problems. Limb lever bows are my preference but I run 65% let off and know guys who run 80%. Let off is your friend especially during the spawn when fish pop up and disappear before you can let lose your arrow. We'll hold for a bit and often shoot the next splash.

" if you use fast flight, muzzy pro line, or monkey wire the line will break before it snaps back."

and there goes $20 bucks i lost a $100 in arrows last year
went back to retriever I can deal with slow retrieve
I don't need to shoot 40 fish 10 is fine lol

O$iris said:
" if you use fast flight, muzzy pro line, or monkey wire the line will break before it snaps back."

and there goes $20 bucks i lost a $100 in arrows last year
went back to retriever I can deal with slow retrieve
I don't need to shoot 40 fish 10 is fine lol
That's not how you win tournaments!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu