Noob here!

PLATA

Oct 19, 2014
Hey guys,

I recently started shooting at a 200yd range here in San Diego and I got hooked with long distance shooting. I will like to actually go hunting in the near future.
I will like to hear any recommendations and tips on where to start as a newbie hunter.
Thanks in advance guys....

Welcome to the SCH website & forum. There is a tremendous amount of information here so take some time and read as much as possible.

A lot of folks started here on SCH and with a little hard work and time have become successful hunters. And success comes in many forms.

Hey dude. If you don't already have a deer tag you're waiting until next year. But learn the regs, read the site, and get out and chase some rabbits. Or schedule a guided pig hunt: learning + meat.

thanks guys.
No deer tag for this year, I will have to wait until next year.
Ive been thinking about a guided pig hunt.......
who do you guys recommend?
anyone that you guys have used in the past?

There's a guy I've heard of that goes by the name of bigboarstopper on another forum. Great guide according to reviews from other forum members. I'll edit back with the info later ( haven't used him personally)

PLATA said:
thanks guys.
No deer tag for this year, I will have to wait until next year.
Ive been thinking about a guided pig hunt.......
who do you guys recommend?
anyone that you guys have used in the past?
Neil Ray of Giant Sequioa Guide Service. A bunch of us have hinted with him. First rate guide, good family man. Check out his web page.

I think you are wise to try a guided hunt to help get you started. And pig hunts are great fun. Watch your guide closely, and be prepared to walk a ways. You don't have to be in shape, but if you don't distract him by making him wait for you, you can just learn from his natural actions. It's great fun and it's an easier learning curve hunting with an experienced hunter than trying to figure it all out for yourself.
Anyway, that's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.

Thanks for all the input.

I just contacted Neil and I'm trying to figure out a date that will work with work schedule!!!

Thanks again for helping out a noob!!!!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu