NWTF Spring Turkey Tune-Up 2017

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
Guys,

This years event will be held back at Lake Sutherland......2-18-17

Anyone that wants to learn about turkey hunting, learn more about Cleveland NF, or just talk shop with many like minded guys......This your event.....We're working on having the target range open too....So you can pattern your turkey loads (non-toxic required this spring).

The drawings this year will be the same as in years past......Must be present to win hunts (both parties).

Here's the flyer.

Attachments

• 2017 Spring turkey tune up.pdf
    86.1 KB · Views: 68
Reactions: The Deer Guy
Nick,

I like the old venue at Sutherland......The turkeys are right where the draws are......Much easier showing guys where to go versus just trying to tell them.

.turkey tune-up  2011 003.JPG turkey tune-up 2012 011.JPG

I'll be there Saturday Steve. May be able to help with set up on Friday as well.

I am really looking forward to this. I bought an old 4Runner today as my dedicated hunting rig.

Look forward to meeting Y'all and hopefully I can glean some knowledge on SouthernCalifornia Hunting!

Reactions: Bonejour
How come this event is still going on? Not that I have a problem with it, matter affact I dig it.

My only issue is The turkey population is so low. Few years ago I would see turkey everywhere, I quit hunting them just to try to keep them around for the future .

The NWTF should put on a varmit clinic a couple times a year and strike a deal with the county and land owners to allow yote, and bobcat hunting.

Brandon,

The local chapter of NWTF did cancel the fall hunt at Lake Sutherland for that very reason 2 years ago.....Low turkey population.....We officially on our website & Facebook page asked people not to shoot hens in the fall and encouraged no fall turkeys at all.....We as a chapter can't do much more than that.....Where your complaints may go to is DFW.....They not only raised the limit from one hen to two, but lengthened the fall season from 2 weeks to a month.....This was all done when our drought started and our turkey populations was falling......Granted the drought and little mast is way way more detrimental than fall hunting.....Also remember, they're not a native species to SD. So a prolonged drought has had a major effect (& oak trees dying by the 100's). You combine the two, and you get what we have......A 1/4 of the birds we once had.

One other thing, having a hunting program on a city property is very unique......Not just in SD, but anywhere in the state of California.....If it wasn't for Jim Brown getting a waterfowl hunting program on city lakes, we would've never gotten a turkey hunting program on Lake Sutherland.....If we give up for even one season hunting on Sutherland, we may never get it back.

Varmint hunting clinic is a great idea......The Varmint Callers Assoc. have spoke at our monthly meetings......As far as hunting predators on city or county lands......Good luck

ps......Varmints were here when we planted them in 1993.....Better habitat, dispersed water sources, will make it harder for them......Keep raining.....;)

Last edited:
nice picture of the Lake years and years ago. Can't wait

nice picture of the Lake years and years ago. Can't wait

Mark,

Hard to believe, but that was only 5 years ago......In a microcosm, you can see the distance poults would have to go through open country to get to water versus in 2014......The lake is worse now.

.IMG_0523.JPG

I don't......Look forward to seeing the boys too......Have you had them learning the calls yet?

Really really hope I draw them one of these times for the youth hunt on Santa Ysabel.

Yup I'll bring the boys with me. Yusuke's still working on the Louth call but he's pretty good with the box call and slate.

Yusuke's was able to draw last year but we didn't hear see anything in the spot we drew. I wasn't sure but once a kid wins a draw, that's it for them correct? They can't enter the draw anymore I thought.

Can't wait. will be Rmingtons last chance for the youth hunt.

Hope you both draw.......Always great knowing who's hunting for those gobblers......And don't forget about the youth hunts on Santa Ysabel either......Meeting with the county Monday to sign all the legal beagle stuff for another year.....Hope to move a couple of blinds too.....;)

.syyth tanner 2016.jpg

Reactions: Matagi
Met with the city today.....Really good folks, that are totally behind the turkey hunting program.....The main reason I attended was to get the patterning station back.....They discussed it and gave us the OK.....What they asked of us is, to have hay bales, shoot into bank, and have a safety person there.....Covered.

What we're asking of the shooters.....Have you gun cased, no loading until your ready to shoot, and shoot the newly required non-toxic.

We will have turkey chairs there for guys or gals to sit in.....Also, if you have turkey targets, bring them.....We will have a few.

Look forward to seeing y'all.

.038.JPG

Last edited:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu