Ok to keep a dog outside in the SoCal heat?

Socal_Sapper

Oct 21, 2013
Hey everyone,

My wife is allergic to pet dander, but I've always wanted to get a dog for hunting, companionship and for my newborn to grow up around. Since I live in the San Fernando Valley, it gets hot as hell here. I have some pretty shaded areas in my yard that I could put a dog house down on, but I'm still worried that whenever it gets too hot out, it might be too much for the dog. Do you think it is unreasonable to have a dog stay outside 100% of the time?

Not at my house is it unreasonable........All my labs have lived in their kennels.......Hot or cold.......They have shade, plenty of water, and they have their box (crate) to sleep in. They travel in the crate everywhere......For a special time or treat, they get to come into the house and only when I say it's OK. Good thing to teach them in case a door is left opened and they want to come in and destroy a mount, couch, chair or something..... :-\)

They love their box & kennel...... 8)

ilovesprig - I've only been on this forum for a couple of days and you've already been a fountain of information for me. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond to my questions. Thanks for the advice.

I have always had dogs and I live in the sf valley. This ain't nothin as far as heat. My dogs always live out side never come in as I have the same issues as you. Drive through the IV when it's 120 and peoples dogs still live out side. For the summer I leave 2 3 gallon water bowls as well as a kiddie pool that he plays in all day.

If your going to hunt upland in so call get your self and your dog used to the heat. I usually hunt quail when it's 30deg in the morning And over 100 by 2pm.

GSPman said:
I have always had dogs and I live in the sf valley. This ain't nothin as far as heat. My dogs always live out side never come in as I have the same issues as you. Drive through the IV when it's 120 and peoples dogs still live out side. For the summer I leave 2 3 gallon water bowls as well as a kiddie pool that he plays in all day.

If your going to hunt upland in so call get your self and your dog used to the heat. I usually hunt quail when it's 30deg in the morning And over 100 by 2pm.

+1

Just keep in mind that heat will kill your dog very quickly where cold is generally not a factor. Shade and water is key. And a place to get out of the weather when it is cold is important as well.

If you are going to keep your dogs outside, as an owner, be responsible and make it as comfortable as possible.

Attached is an example of how tough it can be for your hunting dogs!

Attachments

• Comfy.jpg
    Comfy.jpg
    360.8 KB · Views: 24
I wouldn't bother getting a dog if you have to leave it outside 24/7. I don't leave my dogs outside when it's over 90 degrees. I would say if you really want a dog buy a kennel and find a place you could put him inside when it gets hot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D16hunter said:
I wouldn't bother getting a dog if you have to leave it outside 24/7. I don't leave my dogs outside when it's over 90 degrees. I would say if you really want a dog buy a kennel and find a place you could put him inside when it gets hot.

:D that's funny.

I didn't find it funny at all. Sounded like good advice. I won't put my dog out in 100 degree heat. If I do he just finds shade and refuses to move.

"I wouldn't bother getting a dog if you have to leave it outside 24/7"

This is the statement i find funny. and frankly a little ridiculous. Most boarding kennels are out side. yes they have shade but they are out side in all kinds of heat. I have been involved with many hunting dog groups as well as many Competition groups such as NAVHDA. Most of the dogs worth several 1000 dollars and most champion dogs are kept out side. I personally know a certain world famous German trainer that breeds raises and trains dogs that cost more then both my cars put together. we are talking 10's of thousands and his dogs all live out side except mothers and small pups. yes they have shade yes they have a dog house or a kennel but most are kept out side, no matter how hot. I cant imagine a champion dog with the energy and drive that a champion hunting dog needs being inside of a house. especially in the middle of the day. Yes you can put a dog in a kennal all day in the house but i think that is worse then them just laying down in the shade with a breeze out side.

If you take care of your dog, water kiddie pool misters ect they will be fine. on the plus side they will be heat conditioned. My dog will work all day in the IV in September. I have 20 gallons of water just for him on my truck he gets hosed down ever hour or so. he gets water all day and i carry with my 2 liters of water just for him while we are away from the truck.

My point is not to abuse your dog. my point is not to "....bother getting a dog if you have to leave it outside 24/7" is not a reality for most people. its not really that hot any way i mean come on 100 deg? 30-40% humidity? most of the south is way hotter and way more miserable most of the year. and they still leave there dogs out side all day and all night.

Rant over. and im not sorry if i offended any body.

No need to worry about offending anyone it's just one mans opinion compared to another. I don't feel good about leaving my labs out side all the time just my opinion they get to be very lazy and tired in the heat even with a kiddy pool filled with water they'll swim in.

I second not getting a dog if you plan to leave it outside 24/7. Sure there are people who do it and the dogs are fine (I.e. Look at how all the sled dogs in Alaska are kept and they are fine), but I think for the vast majority of people it just breeds lazy and inconsiderate pet owners. My dog works hard for me and is rewarded with a big comfy bed indoors with my family, since he's a part of our pack.

You must be careful with heat and a dogs health, They cannot perspire like a human to cool themselves so it is important to avoid over heating them either by activity level, weather conditions and or both. I can't over emphasize the importance of this, because of the activity level of these kind of dogs its easy to have a dog to go from healthy to in distress quickly. If that does happen apply cold packs to the belly and ears as well as get them in an air conditioned environment with air moving across them and to a vet asap.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu