Okie fishing trip 2017

WaterDawg

Nov 20, 2016
IMG_1175.JPG Lived in So Cal all my life but my folks came from Oklahoma and Texas and I have many relatives in northeastern OK. Each spring I make a family trip there to visit but spend most of my time fishing. We have an informal bass tournament for bragging rights. Got there on March 24th and spent a week pounding farm ponds, crusher pits and Grand Lake O The Cherokees. Spring weather is just what you've heard. Never dull.

It was cold but bass were hitting spinner baits, buzz baits, and the usual brush hogs and plastics. I caught the first fish worth weighing and took the early lead with a 3-12.

IMG_1147.JPG

My nephew Jared passed me a couple of days later with a 4-2 on top water.

IMG_1186.JPG

I charged back a couple of days later with a fat 6-12 on a twin blade buzz bait.

IMG_1182.JPG

The next day we took a break and fished meat for a family fish fry. Me and bro Dennis with 7 and 8 pound whisker fish.

IMG_1179.JPG

Added some crappie and the feast was on.

IMG_1150.JPG

Niece and nephew at a spot we call The Amazon on Little Cabin Creek.

Near the end of the trip Jared slammed the door with a 7-10 on a buzz bait. It came from a 10 acre pond built 20 years ago by a game warden and one of my cousins. This spot never let's us down.

IMG_0112.JPG

Great trip. Can't wait to do it again next year.

IMG_1153.JPG

New tornado safe room bought by one of my cousins. Weather is taken very seriously for obvious reasons.

Reactions: Grandmesa79
Thanks guys. That part of the state gets 36 inches of rain and there is water everywhere. It's really fun to be in a place with no traffic, no crowds and so many fishing options within minutes. And the wildlife, deer, turkey, golden eagles, beaver, muskrat, huge snapping turtles, gar that look like logs floating on the water.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu