One, Two, Boom!

ilovesprig

Staff member
Aug 3, 2012
Escondido
Daily Double.....After hunting with Stefanie yesterday and not getting a smell.....Jacob & I decided to try a new spot....Came close, but no dice....Then went back to where Stefi and I were yesterday....2 1/2 hours of nothing....But as we were both sleeping, I was awoken by a gobble....Tried to wake Jacob, but the boy was sleeping hard...lol...Finally, whack him pretty good and tell him I heard a bird....After he clears his head, he hears a gobble too, as I got on the box....He's responding good, but staying put....Time to cut the distance, which we did....A couple of soft clucks and now we know there were 2 gobblers on the move....When they finally showed themselves, they were looking for that hen....When they got to within 35 yds, we figured they had looked enough....one, two, boom....We were both shooting TSS and they were stoned....Dang, that was exciting!

.405.jpeg 410.jpeg 419.JPG

Congrats! Worked all weekend but we are going to give it another shot on Saturday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VERY cool.

I’m so jealous of you guys that live close enough to public birds to put in the time to scout and hunt the areas. I just can’t get the time to drive hours every weekend to scout that far away. I’ve only got a very few wild turkeys in my hunting area and I’m not about to shoot the few.

VERY cool.

I’m so jealous of you guys that live close enough to public birds to put in the time to scout and hunt the areas. I just can’t get the time to drive hours every weekend to scout that far away. I’ve only got a very few wild turkeys in my hunting area and I’m not about to shoot the few.

Doug,

Anyone can join MCC.....Lots of turkeys, deer, and a bunch of other hunting & fishing opps.....There's no gimme's there, but your chances are increased by a lot.

Steve. MCC is on my list but I just started a new business so money is tight. I’ve spent more in the last 2 months on tools then in the last few years.

Good job Steve. You are crushing it.

How many birds have been taken on MCC this year? It had to be a good year up there. I Wish we would have had at least one more good rain year but it looks like we are having one of our driest ever. I was really hoping to start seeing some dispersal but with the dry year I think we are gonna go right back down. It’s going to be real tough on deer as well. Last year some of the streams flowed or held water all the way into September. I would wager those same streams could already be dry this year.

Steve. MCC is on my list but I just started a new business so money is tight. I’ve spent more in the last 2 months on tools then in the last few years.
Work hard and spend now and you will be hunting way more later. Congrats on your new business I hope it is incredibly successful.

Great story and pics Steve. This is the third account I've heard of 'finding' birds while sleeping. I'd say the key to turkey is; don't move, don't make a sound and don't snore:relieved:

MCC is a private hunting ranch in SD County. as Steve, said anyone can join but costs a lot to join. if you can afford it well worth joining though

Never been there so can't say if it is a high fence op or not my guess is it is not

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry for question , whats mean MCC ???

MCC stands for My Country Club.....About 50,000 huntable acres near Lake Henshaw, Palomar Mt., and Mesa Grande....It's not high fence or anything like that....Just great habitat for turkeys, deer, dove, quail, band tails, varmints, and rabbits....Included in the membership is fishing in Lake Henshaw and waterfowl hunting on the lake.

The cost is $250.00 a month for an individual, $3,500.00 for a family, and $6,000.00 a year for a corporate membership....A standard membership like mine provides you with one buck (3x or better), 3 turkeys (no fall hunting), and Sunday waterfowl hunting (besides the Wed & Sat schedule)....The rest of the limits and such are by state rules.

You may wonder why I'm promoting it....The answer is purely selfish....The leases are expensive....And with only around 75 members, I don't want them to go under, ever....Best hunting in SD Co.....45 minutes from my house.....;)

...... but costs a lot to join. if you can afford it well worth joining though

"Cost a lot" is a relative term, but when it comes to quality hunting properties I think MCC is a very very good deal.

Definitely not high fence as Steve mentioned.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Couple more things about yesterdays hunt....We were both shooting the new TSS loads....I shot Federal 3 1/2" 2 1/4 oz #7's....My bird never moved after being hit.

Jacob was shooting our friend Phil's reloads 3" 2 oz #9's....Jacob's birds head looked like a pin cushion.

I knew my bird felt heavy.....22-10 lbs....And I've never shot a Merriam that looks anymore like a Merriam as this bird.

.012.JPG 009.JPG 016.JPG

Reactions: msailor

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu