Out of state point cost and dates fixed spread sheet

TRICER

Dec 20, 2014
tricerusa.com
so hopefully this helps some of you with dates and cost for out of state hunting. These are the states that I am applying in and building points in. Listed is the cost to apply and the actual cost if you don't draw but get points. I have some pretty crazy strategy this year to get drawn in a AZ and a few other states. But this is the basic footprint I work off of. Sorry it is in an excel format. If you don't already have gohunt or hunting fool it will change your life and make all of this a lot easier to understand.
I will also be applying in NM which has no points and is just random draw that state all non residents have the same odds but they are slim. In NM you pay for the license and tag upfront and if you dont draw you get it all back. Idaho works the same kind of draw but that will be my go to OTC state if I don't draw in other states. Montana is not listed but you can get a ton of tags OTC up there especially muley and whitetail.

Last edited:
fixed... now anyone can post a google doc just by placing the share url in the post... enjoy :)
and thanks to truduct for posting

Reactions: Bonejour
I'm buying a Utah license this year but plan to hunt private 1800 acres for cow elk. Not sure if we build any points for this since we don't enter a lottery for the tag. Does anyone know? Thank you.

I'm buying a Utah license this year but plan to hunt private 1800 acres for cow elk. Not sure if we build any points for this since we don't enter a lottery for the tag. Does anyone know? Thank you.
That ship sailed last month. You have to apply before the deadline.

Truduct - take a look at Epic Outdoors. Huntin Fool was sold out to a corporate investor and they just don't have the passion. Jason Carter bailed out and started Epic Outoors. We are running both periodicals side by side this year and Epic seems to be more on target. Jason also does podcasts on key western states and explains strategy based on your points starting off with zero and up. Much more bang for your buck (IMHO).

I have been running a spreadsheet for years. It includes my point totals, state user ID's, deadlines and key notes etc. Aways a good idea to track your info and progress.

Thanks John, I will check it out. I like the spreadsheet idea it would help to keep all these states and where I stand. I am completely hooked on www.Gohunt.com they are phenomenal it works great on my phone, computer, I pad. It is super simple and easy to understand.
BTW Oregon is a sleeper for sure. If you are not building points there you are missing an opportunity to hunt elk and deer every few years. Go hunt finally got Oregon draw odds up and you would be shocked the caliber of hunts you could go on with minimal points.

Thanks John, I will check it out. I like the spreadsheet idea it would help to keep all these states and where I stand. I am completely hooked on www.Gohunt.com they are phenomenal it works great on my phone, computer, I pad. It is super simple and easy to understand.
BTW Oregon is a sleeper for sure. If you are not building points there you are missing an opportunity to hunt elk and deer every few years. Go hunt finally got Oregon draw odds up and you would be shocked the caliber of hunts you could go on with minimal points.

Oregon would be a good state to shoot a Roosevelt elk.

Oregon would be a good state to shoot a Roosevelt elk.
3 points and we are hunting a lot of Roosevelt units with 100% draw success. Build some points I am down to go in three years. We might need to bring bikes to ride logging roads and get to cut timber. Or just hike our butts off.

Hunted Rosies near the coast (Tillamook SF).....There was little to no walking where we hunted......Everything was so thick, that the only way to hunt was from logging roads.....Of which, there were miles of them.

Hunted Rosies near the coast (Tillamook SF).....There was little to no walking where we hunted......Everything was so thick, that the only way to hunt was from logging roads.....Of which, there were miles of them.
a lot of logging roads now are closed to vehicle access. Those are the ones you want to find that way you eliminate road hunters which is a big chunk of the hunters up there. You are still technically a road hunter but you have to do it by foot or on a bike.

That ship sailed last month. You have to apply before the deadline.
Not true. We are over the counter, not lottery. We backdoor right into private land. July 21 is our date. Good luck!

What I am saying is if you want to build points in UT it is to late. You can buy OTC but the application process is over. I thought your post said how do I build points. Points are for limited draws not for OTC.

Right on. I appreciate that info. That's why I asked. I've never hunter there before. These 1800 acres are in three plots of land outside of Monticello. Some areas partially farmed, some not. Does anyone know about out of state deer tags there? I looked into it but still fuzzy. I can get a private land out of state if that is an option. Thanks again Truduct. TGIF. Cheers.
One more question for anyone that can answer: What's up with the Hunter Safety Certificate? It seems we have to fill out a form and with the ORIGINAL course certifacate bring it to a Utah F & G office? Is that right or can I mail a copy in or do they not really check? I found mine from 1985 so I have it but am fuzzy on this too. Cheers and thank you all.

You can provide your hunters safety certificate on the UT DGF site. I did my hunters ed here in CA so what I did was went on the CA DFG site and logged into my account found my hunters ed number and then plugged that into the UT site when I set up my account. You can also call UT DFG office and do it over the phone. Or I assume if you are going to buy a license in UT you can bring your hunters ed number and provide it when you buy.

Reactions: Bugsy71
Thank you for the information, I'm still trying to figure this all out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: TRICER
That makes two of us Bugsy71. Actually many of us. Lol

I've been getting out there, just not as much as I would like. Looking forward to putting miles on my boots and a deer in my crosshairs.

Reactions: Bugsy71

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu