Pac boots

SluiceCoot

Oct 25, 2014
Rancho
Going pheasant hunting in November. I was thinking of picking up some pac boots in case there is snow. I've been looking at LL Bean and Sorel, also the Columbia Bugaboot. Wondering if anyone has any experience with any of the mentioned brands or any other recommendations

I love my Schnee's. I've hiked probably about 100 miles in them, half or so in snow, and haven't had any problems with em.

I haven't used the other brands you mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love my Schnee's. I've hiked probably about 100 miles in them, half or so in snow, and haven't had any problems with em.

I haven't used the other brands you mentioned.

Those would be my dream boots. I like their hunter model, but damn they are expensive!

I've owned Sorel's for many many years.....They're real good, but they are not light and walking really long distances like pheasant hunting may require, another newer brand that may be lighter may be needed.

pac boots are the wrong direction to be going. if you are going to South Dakota i think you said in Nov it will be cold by so cal standards but not ice station zebra. keep in mind you are walking all day so a good quality set of waterproof boots will do just fine. Good boots with a water resistant chap or pant will make hunting very comfortable.

fall back position is the hot hands toe warmer heat packs, i used them with my solomon gtx boots in a tree stand with temps hitting zero and they were comfy.

the single most important thing is that they be very very very very waterproof and you keep water from getting in the top. if your pants let melting snow down the top of your boot you will be OUT in no time. I have been wearing the same pare of Filsons chaps for like 20 years now. I keep them waxed and they work in snow or heat and no matter how wet a field is my legs stay dry

Aeon, I've thought about that too. I have a pair of all leather Danner Pronhorns that I love, I just haven't gone in snow with them. If my feet and legs are dry I'll be just fine. It's pretty much #1 on my agenda right now. How to keep my feet warm and dry while providing comfort for lots of walking.

Aeon, I've thought about that too. I have a pair of all leather Danner Pronhorns that I love, I just haven't gone in snow with them. If my feet and legs are dry I'll be just fine. It's pretty much #1 on my agenda right now. How to keep my feet warm and dry while providing comfort for lots of walking.

I have a pair of Danners with 400 grams of insulation they work great, just wear a good pair of gators to keep the snow out of your boot tops.

I've used regular gaiters and my 10" waterproof insulated (leather) boots to walk in snow up to my knees. If the drifts are higher than your knees, chaps will shed the snow but you won't be able to walk far anyway in that deep stuff. Unless it is very wet and slushy (not likely in the Dakotas), or you're walking through standing water, it seems to me that thinsulate lining of 1,000gm or more would be more important than a rubber sole. Just a thought. Hope it's helpful.

pac boots are the wrong direction to be going. if you are going to South Dakota i think you said in Nov it will be cold by so cal standards but not ice station zebra. keep in mind you are walking all day so a good quality set of waterproof boots will do just fine. Good boots with a water resistant chap or pant will make hunting very comfortable.

fall back position is the hot hands toe warmer heat packs, i used them with my solomon gtx boots in a tree stand with temps hitting zero and they were comfy.

the single most important thing is that they be very very very very waterproof and you keep water from getting in the top. if your pants let melting snow down the top of your boot you will be OUT in no time. I have been wearing the same pare of Filsons chaps for like 20 years now. I keep them waxed and they work in snow or heat and no matter how wet a field is my legs stay dry

Good waterproof boots and gaiters if you're walking for pheasant. You're hips and calves will be hating you after the first few hours if you go with PAC boots. Just my 2 cents.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu