Persistent Questions

S

Shot Slinger

Looking at the highlighted sections of the attached file I still find I have questions on the laws. 50 yard rule is it for roads or highways?? Both documents from Imperial County one says roads but no distance other says highways and 50 yards??

Pigeons legal to shoot or not?? Imperial County has a rule that no open season on Rock Dove(domestic pigeons) what about feral pigeons? oOnce they are dead how do you tell them apart? If pigeons are allowed for training dogs is it illegal to shoot them in Imperial County during training?

I know I will likely have to get imperial County/DFG to comment but any thought on the subject would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Regulations.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
50 yds from any named county or state road.....Paved or not.

All pigeons are legal in the IV.....That was a mistake in the regs.

You should never wait until something is dead to tell it apart. That is a great way to turn a bird into a couple thousand dollar fine.
Pigeons are fun to shoot the drop hard.

IV is an anomaly as far as reg interpretation goes. Make sure you carry a copy so that if you encounter a junior green jeans that you can argue the point and call in a senior officer that knows the ropes. Might save you a trip to court and dismissal. Not sure all game officers understand that all pigeons are legal because of the foul up in the previous reg's

The game fields in IV are mostly on named roads but guys line up and shoot right next to them. Wardens come through and check licenses but don't care about the 50 yard rule USUALLY. But opening day wardens and other law are imported from other areas to beef up coverage and some of those guys don't have that 'ol IV spirit.

My favorite is 150 yards from an "occupied dwelling". Blacks Law Dictionary and most every other source define it as a place where people live, or "dwell". But I got a hefty fine once for shooting within 150'yards of an old rusty metal grain building in the IV. Half the guys on this site have probably shot that same spot. It was a Long Beach officer imported for opening day. I tried to fight it but the DA was a real hard baller and despite my photos of the building and multiple legal definitions of "occupied dwelling" there was no negotiation - pay the fine or come back for a trial and risk having a misdemeanor on my clean record. So I paid and got off with an infraction but still would argue if an "occupied dwelling" is virtually any farm building then there is an awful lot of illegal shooting going on in the IV

Sorry for my long story. I would say try to play it safe with all of the rules, but keep a fine fund saved up because sooner or later you're likely to get caught in the morass of unclear hunting laws.

Kevin,

The actual law reads, any occupied dwelling, barn, or outbuilding.....F & G code 3004.....And archery equipment is considered a deadly weapon.

.DISCHARGING FIREARMS OR OTHER DEADLY WEAPONS It is unlawful for any person, other than the owner, person in possession of the premises, or a person having the express permission of the owner or person in possession of the premises, to hunt or to discharge while hunting, any firearm or other deadly weapon within 150 yards of any occupied dwelling house, residence, or other building or any barn or other outbuilding used in connection therewith. The 150-yard area is a “safety zone.” (See Section 3004, Fish and Game Code.)

Kevin,

The actual law reads, any occupied dwelling, barn, or outbuilding.....F & G code 3004.....And archery equipment is considered a deadly weapon.

.DISCHARGING FIREARMS OR OTHER DEADLY WEAPONS It is unlawful for any person, other than the owner, person in possession of the premises, or a person having the express permission of the owner or person in possession of the premises, to hunt or to discharge while hunting, any firearm or other deadly weapon within 150 yards of any occupied dwelling house, residence, or other building or any barn or other outbuilding used in connection therewith. The 150-yard area is a “safety zone.” (See Section 3004, Fish and Game Code.)

This is bringing back bad memories because I had that law memorized for my appearance lol. "Used in conjunction therewith" means barns and outbuildings used in conjunction with occupied "dwellings". There were no occupied dwellings within a half mile of the spot. Whatever the law writer's intention was, I was going by the actual written verbiage.

The only good news was that by having to go to the Brawley courthouse to appear I was able to go shoot some IV birds afterwards

Thank you to everyone for the input on my questions. I do carry Imperial County Code of Ordinanaces with me just in case, since it is the only written document that mentions the 50 yard rule and lists it as applicable to highways (Roads with an S designation). When applying the 50 yd rule to all named roads this eliminates 80% or more of drains, laterals or canals and some large portions of the Game Bird fields from being able to shoot near. The DFG does not enforce this rule it is only County Sheriff , as far as I know. I hope they modify or amend the regs to clearly state the pigeon rule so I don't have to pass them up any more. If it is written somewhere and they can show a judge that is likely how the judge will rule.

Reactions: 2duckhunter4

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu