Pigs......San Diego......you decide

quiet22

Nov 30, 2016
Made probably the most difficult climb/hike of my life today.....and at age of almost 60 it was a doozy...6 miles round-trip into the canyon. However....where I went I went with one purpose in mind......to see if there was evidence of ongoing life with wild pigs in our county. The internet has gone stone cold with information or hunt success etc.....so I knew I had to do it. I don't believe I would make that hike again....however I present to you below what I saw. You tell me what this evidence means. Aside from finding this evidence near water, there were numerous animal well worn trails that either a pig or deer would achieve.......

Attachments

• IMG_20170514_122555527.jpg
    IMG_20170514_122555527.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 202
  • IMG_20170514_122534622.jpg
    IMG_20170514_122534622.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 187
  • IMG_20170514_130236394.jpg
    IMG_20170514_130236394.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 190
Made probably the most difficult climb/hike of my life today.....and at age of almost 60 it was a doozy...6 miles round-trip into the canyon. However....where I went I went with one purpose in mind......to see if there was evidence of ongoing life with wild pigs in our county. The internet has gone stone cold with information or hunt success etc.....so I knew I had to do it. I don't believe I would make that hike again....however I present to you below what I saw. You tell me what this evidence means. Aside from finding this evidence near water, there were numerous animal well worn trails that either a pig or deer would achieve.......

I'll help you carry it out ;D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I second what snake charmer says, great spot for trail cams! I would keep that location to yourself as well.

I don't know....

The first pic looks like a club hoof of some sort
The second pic the track on the left is just too pointed and straight in the interior. The other track is a slide so who knows
Now the scat doesn't look normal. Normally they come out round or pressed together like a boot over the shock.....but you never know

Put a cam up that scat and the first track may be the same animal.

Also put something in the pic for size reference next time.

Good luck

Observed one track at a higher altitude tributary when I went back this week. I saw the Disturbed soil.... but the track is half way between a pig and deer. .....hard to have full confidence...IMG_20170604_140539997.jpg IMG_20170604_140558553.jpg

I heard a good quote that any animal can make one track once but only the animal you are looking for can make the same track twice. I would say look and see if you can find more of the same track.

Those look like pig tracks to me. Have you found any other type of sign, like rubs, rooting, or wallows?

Yes, best thing to do is put a cam up. See any bear track? Heard the local BLM or GW might have a few recent pics floating around of yogi.

No cam....and will not be hiking back down that path again at my age and with the summer heat starting........I knew in my heart that those horrid politicians couldn't get rid of all pigs including themselves and with their breeding ability....there must be some....sure enough....it was worth the first climb to assuage my curiosity.

The tracks in the first looks like hogs, the second photo posted seems a little too pointed to be pig so I would say it's probably a buck track. They are still out there for sure. Found a few semi fresh rooting and a wallow right aft r turkey season.

So far my dogs haven't found a whole lot other than recent tracks, rootings, and wallows. I haven't ran them since the foxtails got crazy out there. Hopefully we get some rain in the fall and I can run the dogs again.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu