Powder recommendations 6.5 PRC

bassin_rob

Nov 7, 2016
Just ordered the Christensen MHR in 6.5 PRC. Between waiting for the rifle to ship and the 10 day wait it will be a few weeks before having it, but I would like to have some loads built up so I can shoot ASAP. I’ve had excellent results with the hammers so I intend to stick with them. (Also have an email into hammer bullets for info) but figured the more advice the better. The rifle has a 1:8 twist and it’s a 22” barrel. Hoping to be able to shoot the 124 or 125 grain bullets and hoping the shorter barrel won’t affect stability.
As far as powder guys R26 seems to be recommended but as far as I can tell it’s impossible to find. I also called a few local stores for N560 with no luck. Anyone have a similar setup with a powder that I’ll have more luck finding?

D16 is gonna take a beating!! Strong work dude! I shoot a 120..but I'm a 25 guy. Finish!!

@bassin_rob

We just released a rad podcast with Steve from Hammer bullets and it’s worth talking a listen to!
Ya man I’ll check it out. I’ve gotten info from Steve before and he’s an absolute wealth of knowledge. Been using the hammer bullets for a while. Killed my Montana buck at 600 yards with the 143 hammer hunter this year and it didn’t take a step.

Reactions: Stikbrandon
H1000 is way to slow for this setup…it will work and be temp stable but leave hundreds of fps on the table. It is a solid powder for 140 gr to 160 gr lead bullets.

N560 and RL26 have been my go to but I hear that H4350 works great along with some other powders like staball.

Checkout hammers forum, they have a pdf document with tons of load data for this combo.

If you are in a pinch I can part with some RL26 or N560.

Looks like I can attach a copy.

Attachments

• Hammer Hunter Post 12-22-23 (.17-.270 cal).pdf
    269.8 KB · Views: 9
24" browning, 124HH and N570 has my 6.5prc browning (7 twist) at 3400. It shoots unbelievably well and I wouldn't change a thing except maybe the new 125hht. @JakeSCH knows the secret sauce.

Your load 63 gr of N560 with lapua brass, Fed 210M, and 1/4T of Lee factory Crimp die.

Reactions: 180ls1
H1000 is way to slow for this setup…

N560 and RL26 have been my go to

Not one to argue at this point in life but RL26 and H1000 are very close in burn rate (almost identical).

The RL26 will eeek out a bit more velocity. The slower powders are easier on your barrel.

RL 16 would be one to try as well.

Screenshot_20231226_092716_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Not one to argue at this point in life but RL26 and H1000 are very close in burn rate (almost identical).

The RL26 will eeek out a bit more velocity. The slower powders are easier on your barrel.

RL 16 would be one to try as well.

View attachment 60897

Yeah I agree about their burn rate being same on the chart but in testing they are very different. With H1000, N565, Retumbo, I run out of case capacity way before I hit pressure. I never could hit 3200 fps with my 6.5 PRC and 124 hammers using H1000.

RL26 is a freak, it is the exception for this cartridge.

Likely has something to do with its ability to get to max burn rate quicker changing the area under pressure curve.

Definitely appreciateall the info guys. Would love R26 but I would want to get minimum 5lbs to keep me busy for a bit and that doesn’t seem realistic. I found an 8lber of N560 I think I’ll pick up. I had outstanding luck with N570 with my 28 Nosler so I’ll hope for the same results with this powder and the 6.5.

Reactions: JakeSCH
i would second that R26 and h1000 do not behave the same :)the PRC being only a few gr less capacity than a saum, h1000 would not work for a light bullet but it would be cool running.

Good news is, I found some R26. Bad news is I’m gonna have to take out a 2nd mortgage. $90 bucks a pound

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu