Problem: hot trails on puppy paws. Solution...?

Flecko

Apr 26, 2013
Coastal San Diego
Hey all,

I have a 6 month old Ridgeback. I am very mindful about pushing her too far. It's been hot on East County SD trails, and she jumps from shade to shade. Her feet hop off the ground and she flicks them showing discomfort. She's saying the ground is too hot for her feet pads. I put my barefeet down the path with discomfort, but it was manageable. My wife wants me to get booties for her and that's a no from me.

Has anyone else experienced this and how did you over come it? Thanks.

Hey buddy. I was in the same boat as you about a year ago. Ive had many different dogs. Golden's, chocolate labs, and my beloved GSP's Heck my wife even has a tiny little fuzzy Maltese. Ive never had a problem with hot feet untill my current 2yr old GSP. He hates the sun. he hates hot dirt, ground or anything else. He is almost useless in the IV if it gets above 105DEG. He would run tree to tree bush to bush. he still does sometimes if we are just on a walk or hike. BUt If we are hunting he has out grown it. My wife also wanted booties, and i also said NO!. soooo..... what to do? keep an eye on her take it slow walk her on hot dirt and asphalt for short walks. keep her cool she will do OK. Im sure one of the trainer will chime in as well.... I also have used a product my uncle sam gave me years ago for my own feet. it keeps them from cracking. Im not sure of the name right now but they have it at most gun dog stores and gun dog web sites. Its safe for humans and dogs. some people say it doesn't work and some say it works great.

Just like any other thing, their feet have to toughen up.....My dogs live outside/kennel.....I've never had a problem.....I could how see how a dog that lives on carpet would have a problem.....More time on hard surfaces would be my answer......2 cents

Like Sprig said just keep working the dog and they will toughen up. Booties are a pain and often won't stay on but I have used sections of bicycle tube taped to their legs with success when the terrain is sharp rocks.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu