Puffy Jacket Review: KUIU stacked up against others in its category

Flecko

Apr 26, 2013
Coastal San Diego
I wrote this review in response to a friend and member’s request to evaluate a jacket for his prospective purchase. He wanted to know how the KUIU Super Down Jacket stacked up against other outdoor brands that were not necessarily hunting brands. My background: I have worked in outdoor retail and have used and abused much mountain gear for over 15 years.

The following is a breakdown of specs of jackets in the same category of the KUIU, and a short review of the specs only (not any personal experience with these jackets, just word of mouth stuff). This category of jacket is for high performance down jackets, with the hunter in mind.

I identified the most important specifications about each jacket. Here are some preliminary notes about some of the specifications mentioned below. (If you just want the reviews, skip to below)

Fabric: Denier refers to the weight of the strand making the fabric. Generally, the higher the denier, the more durable the garment will be because the strands that making the fabric are thicker. Another consideration is the kind of fabric being used. Nylon is much more durable and light weight than polyester. The KUIU jacket has a new stretch fabric which I know isn’t nylon, but otherwise I don’t know how durable it is.

Down: Loft is what gives down its warmth. The ability to trap warm air in between the fabric is the key. Down has much higher loft than any synthetic fiber. This means that down weighs less and compacts smaller than synthetic fibers. However, the MAJOR weakness of down is when it gets wet. It can take over a week to fully dry out, and if not done properly, the down can start to stink inside (especially if the down is from Asia). Fill power refers to the ratio of loft per weight of down. The test can be visualized by filling a tube with an ounce of down and compressing it with a weight (the mathematical equation – for those math geeks out there – is cm^3/g). The higher the fill power number, the loftier the down is at the same weight as a lower fill power down. Higher = better, lighter weight and more packable. European down is the cleanest and highest quality down, and any fill power over 800 is most always European down. People who buy Asian down complain of a smell, and sharp down quills sticking out of the fabric.

DWR: This is a nano technology treatment that, when applied to the exterior of a fabric, makes water bead up and roll off. DWR is not a membrane, such as the waterproof-breatheable Gore-Tex fluorite membrane. DWR is a treatment like Rain-ex for glass. A new jacket with a good DWR treatment should not absorb any water for over a half hour. “Wet out” occurs when the water no longer rolls off the fabric. You can see wet out when the fabric turns a darker color from absorbing the water. As a jacket becomes worn, the DWR treatment naturally loses effectiveness. Furthermore, as fibers pull out (making the fabric a little fuzzy), these fibers pull in water, wetting out faster. If your jacket is wetting out too soon, follow the instructions on how to wash it, and put it in the dryer when wet. Moderate heat will re-activate the treatment (up to a certain extent of lifetime). DWR can be re-applied by spray or by wash in solution.

Reviews: (note – no personal experience using these jackets, just word of mouth and personal inspection)

KUIU Super Down Jacket $229
- 20 denier Stretch “Toray Stunner Stretch” fabric,
- 9oz,
- 850+ power fill,
- DWR treatment,
- Camo
Review of specs: This jacket is relatively light weight (compared to jackets in this class), and has great quality down. I am a little suspicious of the stretch fabric, as it has not been out on the market very long. It may be prone to snagging and wear, or it may hold up very well. Jackets with stretch fabrics are great! When stretch fabrics first hit the market in 1999-2000ish, they were heavier and not water repellant at all. Today, stretch fabrics will probably, generally speaking, lose the water repellency faster than non-stretch counterparts. Bottom line, you should feel and inspect the “Toray Stunner Stretch” fabric for yourself (I got no clue here).

Marmot Ajax Jacket - $165
(Considerably less expensive than the KUIU)
- Polyester ripstop,
- 20 oz,
- DWR finish,
- 700 fill down,
- Water resistant down fill
Review of specs: this is a step down in quality, all around. The jacket fabric is polyester, which is not as strong as nylon, and it is heavier than nylon. The jacket weighs more, and the down is 700 fill (not sure if it comes from Europe). The price is right, and it will perform up to most all hunters’ expectations (save for those who really push the limits, and could really use the spared weight).
http://marmot.com/products/details/ajax-jacket

Mountain Hardwear Nitrous Jacket - $220
(Roughly same price as the KUIU jacket)
- 12.4 ounces
- 800 fill down
- “Q-shield” - Water resistant down fill
- 30 Denier ripstop Nylon
- DWR treatment
Review of specs: This jacket is comparable to the KUIU Super Down Jacket. It has 800 fill down (European quality), and the down has a water resistant finish directly in the down. The only possible edge that this jacket MAY have over the KUIU is that the fabric is 30 denier ripstop nylon, which is PROBABLY (not sure) slightly more durable.
http://www.mountainhardwear.com/mens-nitrous-jacket-OM5717.html?colorID=491

Arcteryx Thorium AR Jacket - $265
(One step more expensive than the KUIU)
- 12.7oz,
- Synthetic loft / down hybrid jacket!
- 40 denier ripstop nylon.
- DWR treatment
Review of specs: This jacket is really cool! Arcteryx is known for having top of the line products and they are leading the pack on research and development of innovative technology. That being said, this jacket has the benefits of down (lightweight, packable), with the benefit of synthetic fill (maintains loft/warmth in wet conditions). I haven’t seen this in any other jacket at such a light weight! Furthermore, the jacket boasts a 40 denier ripstop nylon. And Still 12.7 oz – WTF? This jacket could truly be used as an outer layer, even in slightly damp conditions.
http://arcteryx.com/product.aspx?language=EN&gender=Mens&category=Insulated_Jackets&model=Thorium-AR-Jacket

Western Mountaineering Vapor Jacket - $360
(Gold Standard expensive!)
- Made in Canada
- Goretex Windstopper fabric (most durable of all of these options)
- Goretex Windstopper comes with DWR treatment
- 850+ goose down
- 16 ozs
- Warmest of all of these options (most amount of down fill, windstopper)
Review of specs: Western Mountaineering is an amazing company. They manufacture their products in either Canada or the US, they use TOP QUALITY materials, and they are WARM! This jacket is slightly heavier, most likely because it has more down inside it, and the Windstopper fabric is a little thicker. Windstopper is the sturdiest fabric of all of these jackets, and it does what it says: it prevents air movement through the jacket. This means considerably more warmth and it is almost guaranteed to protect the down from moisture longer than the other options mentioned above. It does come with a price, at over $100 more than the KUIU. If you want the confidence that you have bought the best jacket on the market in this category… buy it.
http://westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=products&page=Down%20Garments&cat=Jackets%20and%20Vests&ContentId=64

Patagonia Fitz Roy Down Jacket - $349
(Stupid use of money)
“Traceable Down (third-party-verified, non-live-plucked, non-force-fed) 800-fill-power goose down” (I don’t need to go any further).
Review: I don’t know what industry standards are for plucking geese. I do know that, with this jacket, you are paying for the peace of mind that the birds that provided the down are better taken care of, NOT NECESSARILY that they are better taken care of than other geese. I would only entertain buying this kind of down if it was higher quality (like free range eggs vs. run of the mill eggs). This is not to say that I don’t think we should be good to animals, it’s just that I don’t think that buying “Traceable” down means that we are necessarily better to the animals than usual. This is a political/ideological debate, and you pay a lot more for this jacket for peace of mind, not for performance. Dumb.
Patagonia does make great quality stuff though, that’s why I included this here… just for perspective.
http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/mens-fitz-roy-down-jacket?p=84585-0

BOTTOM LINE:
After going geeky on my friend's request, comparing the jacket to other top of the line outdoor industry standard jackets, I can confidently say that the KUIU Super Down Jacket is really an excellent jacket. It combines the best specifications (Light weight and great quality down), with the target customer being a hunter. The only variable that could be good or bad is the stretch fabric. Let me know if you have this jacket and what you think!

Great overview Mitch. You are a wealth of information! I have this jacket and will be using it on a backpack bowhunt this August. Without having tested it in the field all I can say is the warmth to weight ratio is hard to believe. Crazy light and very warm. The material is somewhat noisy and more conducive to glassing when its cold. Not the best jacket for stalking.

Thanks for the review, I've been looking into one.. I just started using kuiu products this year, and I'm amazed. They may be expensive, but well worth the money.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu