Quail basics?

xjon

Jul 26, 2014
So Im out scouting D12 and found a covey close to the wash couple weeks ago. My hunting partner comes with me last Sunday and she doesn't have a deer tag so I brought a 12ga for her to hunt quails. Well we walked the wash mid day and no luck. At 3pm we called it quits to hike up a ridge looking for my buck.

So my questions are:
Do coveys move around and how much?
Ive seen them up high on ridges, down low in washes. Are those habits dependent on time of day?
Any other tips would be appreciated.
Thanks.

They stay in a general area I would say no more than 1sq mile in my experience. Try getting a Quail call they are easy to use and quail respond well to them. Most of my hunting is done in the desert and they almost always head for fingers Of washes and rocky hillsides after you bust them. You would think they would go in bushes but they look exactly like the rocks it is crazy. That tip alone has doubled my production. Once you bust a covey keep circling the area you will almost have to step on them for them to fly. Quail love to stay low and run. Quail hunting is a lot of walking but when you get on them it sure gets the blood pumping. That wing flutter turns a 2 hour hiking frown upside down like nothing else. Also hunting with partners and or a dog greatly increases your odds just need to be aware of where everyone is since the birds fly low. I always wear orange.

Very good answers above ^

First thing in the morning after leaving their roost cover they will feed. Usually for about an hour or so until there crops are full. After feeding, if there is standing water they will make there way to it for a drink around mid morning. Tho contrary to what a lot of people think quail do not have to have standing water if there is lush succulent greens they can get there moisture requirements from. After this they will make there way to lofting cover where they will relax until the evening. Valley quail will almost always feed again in the evening before making there way to roosting cover for the night.

I can't stress enough how useful a quail call is. It is an extremely affective way to locate birds. Use a call before you start walking or running a dog and be cautious of how much noise you are making. Don't slam car doors or talk loud. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Moves and xjon
All very good advice. All pros for sure. It's funny in spring you can see them all over the place . I seen run right in front of me. And do the spring mating calls. To me they seem smart birds. They fly behind trees and shrub's. Preventing a clear shot. During spring it seems they in the lower valley's. Then in summer they head up higher in the mountain. California quail. Same for the mountain quail. Desert quail. I have not hunted for a while. But seemed easier, but not easy. Mainly first part of the mourning listen for their call, home in on that. I generally don't call until I bust the covy. Basically just as any other hunting, it takes lots of scouting. Not easy. Once found keep on them. It's a lot easier with a partner who has a dog. Hands down. My favorite is mountain quail. Tasty little guys. 35 years ago they where every where. Not as many now.

Reactions: Moves
If you do not have a dog I would strongly recommend not shooting doubles. Shoot one bird at a time and pay attention to the exact location they land. You might think you know exactly where a bird landed and get there and have trouble finding it. Especially because you are usually shooting them over thick cover. They can land in a bush and be almost invisible

Reactions: Gspman
Quail are much like turkeys in the fall.....They flock/covey up.....They will call when disturbed or the covey is broken up. Again much like turkeys in the fall.....The young don't like being away from the companionship of the covey.

Quail are very habitual......Feeding & watering (if available), in the same area till disturbed.....They also have look-outs in the tops of low trees & brush.....Meaning you can see or spot them from a distance.....All quail make a number of sounds, but the quail you'll be hunting (Gambel's in D-12) make the distinctive...Chi-Ca-Go...whistle (as do valley quail).....Listen for it.

Gambel quail would much rather run than fly.....Keep that in mind, when chasing them in washes where shots are tough in mesquite & atriplex.

ps.....An old indian guide once told me when hunting redheads.....Act like rabbit, shoot like rabbit.....;)

.quail 2010 008.JPG quail 2010 017.JPG

I listened to these old pros when I started 4 years ago and it resulted in this....
b1526801274416fc8b438ce40104c472.jpg

5c6b0f6f2cb2ab13f5b9bf0a776e403c.jpg

8f8dd3834eb555e31838c1bab4aee4b1.jpg

Quail are much like turkeys in the fall.....They flock/covey up.....They will call when disturbed or the covey is broken up. Again much like turkeys in the fall.....The young don't like being away from the companionship of the covey.

Quail are very habitual......Feeding & watering (if available), in the same area till disturbed.....They also have look-outs in the tops of low trees & brush.....Meaning you can see or spot them from a distance.....All quail make a number of sounds, but the quail you'll be hunting (Gambel's in D-12) make the distinctive...Chi-Ca-Go...whistle (as do valley quail).....Listen for it.

Gambel quail would much rather run than fly.....Keep that in mind, when chasing them in washes where shots are tough in mesquite & atriplex.

ps.....An old indian guide once told me when hunting redheads.....Act like rabbit, shoot like rabbit.....;)

.View attachment 28624 View attachment 28625
Steve do you have a magic Camera? You should be an outdoors photographer. Never seen so many outstanding pics.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the tips. Will concentrate on them after deer. Looking forward to it though.
No dog..so one at a time.
Quail call ordered. I've seen the spotters here in D15 mountain once. I know the tracks. I've seen them on the rocks at D12.
Safety wise, we have one shotgun so the other person wears the orange and acts as the retriever (if we ever get a shot at one).

So if I see them do I run at them or just keep making my way to them to get them off the ground?
I know its wishful thinking that they would line up on a fence and fly one by one but how many in a covey would you bag before moving on?

If you see them, they see you.....They will inheritably run to the opposite side of any bush (especially mesquite trees) that's between you & them.....Try to get to the other side as quick as possible (fast walk safely).....They are always a few that flush out the backside late.....Once they flush, watch where they go & walk up to the area slowly with eyes scanning ahead of you.....They will start holding tighter.....

Also, once you're in them, stay quiet & in the area.....They get nervous & lonely pretty quickly.

.Desert quail 10-19-11 008.JPG Desert quail 10-19-11 006.JPG

Reactions: Moves

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu