Question about a dog rounding up singles and doubles

Boudroux

Jan 26, 2013
Where I live my house backs up to a whole bunch of acres of open land with lots of quail in it. Its like a private wild quail training area for me as I've never seen another person working hunting dogs there.

I run my pup there daily. She is now 8 months old. Today we came across one of the coveys, she winded the birds, pointed until I got close, then they flushed. I estimate I saw 14 or so birds flush. She chased a pair that went in the opposite direction of the bulk of them so I let her be until she returned on her own.

I was hoping to see her work the immediate area of the original flush because I could here some calling but once she returned she started searching again into the wind instead of trying to locate the rest of the covey which flew down wind.

Since she's young I didn't want to badger her so I just let her do her thing. What I'm wondering is if I should have brought her to heel, circled far enough around down wind and sent her again OR should I expect a dog to do that on their own when they bust a covey.

Brian, I met your dog at the snake break (Snake Charmer here), Let pup's be pup's all this stuff is fixable in the long run when it becomes time to do so. What you don't want to do us quash they're prey drive so let her do what she want's to do and address it when you formally train her to become steady to flush, shot and retrieve. Come take a lesson or two from us and we'll show you how to get it done. She's at the prime age where you need to start working on this so don't wait.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu