Questions on Trail Cams

Baller

Sep 12, 2016
Hi Guys,

Got a question for all you veterans with the trail cams. Never had them before and just starting to use them. I have 6 new Moultrie A-20 cams I am putting out this year (Started last week). So my questions to all the guys that have been using them awhile are:

1. How long are you getting out of your batteries _ Lots of variables I am sure like air temp, quality of photo, etc.
2. How long are you going between checking them? 1 week, 2 weeks?
3. How long are you giving it before you move them to a new area?

Any and all advice is sincerely appreciated...

Annnnd gooo...!!!

1 - were getting nearly a full preseason ( june through august ) on a set 12 AA batteries with our wildgame innovations set on medium sensitivity .
2 - we check every other weekend
3 - move them when your board of what is showing up .
4 - trim any branches or bush that may blow in the wind and take 3000 pictures of a bush growing up

Mo's advice is solid. I do not have any experience with your particular trail camera, but as a whole, the new cams coming out have great battery life, several months in some cases (even when taking 1000s of pictures).

Definitely trim anything in front of the camera, in fact, for me... even grass blowing in the wind will trigger the camera, I usually flatten all grass within 10-15ft of the camera.

If your camera is out in the open (not shaded) you do not want to face the camera directly east or west. If you do, any pictures will be washed out for a few hours at sunrise and sunset due to the camera staring right into the sun. Use a compass to check during setup.

Nill,

My Trophy cams take 8 AA batteries.....Last about one year.....My cams tell me where I'm at with battery life (I'm sure your does too).

I never go much more than 2 weeks with most sets.....Don't really move them much on private property.

If you're setting yours on public. Try to hide them somewhat or don't put them out in the open....Put the cam off the beaten path too.....Most guys don't look to far from deer trails.....Locking them is a good idea, but if a guy wants it bad enough, he'll get it.....No reason to make it easy though (I hate thieves!).

If you can aim camera down a trail, do it.....Like in a curve or pinch spot....That way you can slow your camera down and still get numerous pix of game walking thru.

If you find a rub, put a camera on that.....Bucks will return.....Or create your own.....We can't bait, salt, or use mineral attractants, but we can use scape or doe scent.....Put that on a sapling, bush, or tree.....Then put a cam on it.

Good luck.....Checking cams is half the fun of hunting.....No telling what will walk by.

ps.....There's doe estrus (legal) on that little bush in the middle of the pic....One of my favorite trail cam pix.....3 bucks fighting next to it.

.PICT0181.JPG PICT0150.JPG

Last edited:
All excellent advice. Thank you gentlemen, one and all..!!

Keep 'em coming boys..

STC_0009.JPG STC_0016.JPG STC_3208.JPG STC_0162.JPG STC_1026.JPG STC_0310.JPG STC_0159-2.JPG All solid advise here... I've started my second season using cameras and learn everytime I go out. It's made me a better hunter and I spend way more time in the woods. Ed F

Reactions: longbowhunter2
solid advice and great pics` X2 on keeping the cameras well hid. and maybe locked on public.. stick to off the beaten path. even the anti hunters will mess or take the cameras. look for lots of sign, tracks and scat. start there. good luck

X2 on all the above.. only advice I'd add is to not forget your memory card lol. Dunno how many times I've hiked out 3+ miles to a spot to realize my memory card is not in my cam and instead is still in my computer reader at home.

All great ideas and/or suggestions. Good to know my thinking was right on track. Thanks everyone..!!

Great thread, I've learned a lot. I put a cam in my yard to see what was raiding our apple tree at night. This is the only animal life I caught on film:

9049A36F-686E-4F5D-8846-A6CA9F88ACC2.JPG

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu