Rabbit Hunting and scouting this weekend

RMP

Jul 20, 2016
I'm a new hunter in the San Diego area and was planning on heading out to the Cleveland forest this weekend for some cottontail or jack rabbit. I have been shooting a recurve bow for about a year and recently took up compound shooting and will be bringing my bow along with an air rifle. PM me if you're interested in bagging some rabbits and also scouting out good deer spots with bow or air rifle/22 this weekend.

RMP,

Welcome to SCH......Good luck on finding some cottontails on public land....Make sure you're on huntable public lands......Quite a few rabbits in the San Felipe W.A., but it doesn't open till Sept. 1st., as an example.

Thanks Sprig, I have the local National Forest Atlas Mapbook and OnX maps.

This may be overkill, but I've also imported San Diego county tax assessor's GIS data into a mapping tool I use at work to see private land by parcel including ownership data. I then overlay this on accurate satellite images i.e. NOT google earth.

RMP,

No such thing as overkill when it comes to the mishmash of private & public here in SD Co.....And again, just because it says it's public, doesn't mean it's open to shooting or hunting......Be careful & good luck.

Any luck in the Cleveland National Forrest?

I've had more luck on BLM land. There are a couple spots in CNF that I scouted but did not hunt which seem promising. I'd like to go out on a cottontail hunt before the season ends this month with either my bow or air rifle. If you'd like to try and meet up PM me!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu