Rabbit vs. Coyote...Rabbit Won!

DanSanDiego

Venison for Thanksgiving 2016
Sep 18, 2014
image.jpeg Went out rabbit hunting with SurfNHunt and his friend Eric on Sunday. Started driving to the secret honey hole at 5am (gotta beat the heat in jack rabbit country).

We are spread out and I'm in the center of the three of us. Lots of action with jacks running at 40yards in thick brush. A few shots taken but the jacks always beat us and get to their hiding spots.

Then I see the characteristic fast movement of a rabbit running, but instead of running away from me it is running toward me at 80 yards. There is a larger rabbit running behind it. So I take aim for the larger rabbit as they run into range of my 12 gauge (#3 steel, because it's almost waterfowl season).

With the Benelli aimed and clear visibility of the target, I see that it is a coyote in pursuit of the small jack. The yote is hopping after the rabbit jumping over all the scrub brush and almost toying with the Jack like it knows where the Jack is going.

They close the range to me very fast and I only have a second to decide what to fire on (Jack or coyote). I take one shot at the coyote. He turns and started to run the other way. The Jack keeps screaming past me and I had to lift my right foot for him to pass under. Then I take a second shot on the coyote who is already mortally wounded and he lays down for the last time.

At least 3 year old coyote with major canines and a tough attitude. I am fortunate to have experienced you in your prime, mister coyote, and I wish you a good sleep.

Reactions: SurfNHuntSD
That's a great coat. Way to go Dan!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu