Ran my first NAVHDA test this past weekend

Boudroux

Jan 26, 2013
On Friday I ran my 8 month old pup Cazi in the San Diego NAVHDA chapter's natural ability test. There were 10 pups that ran and if I heard the results properly every single one of them scored well enough to prize. Over hearing a couple people talking I got the impression that Friday's group of pups was pretty impressive all the way around and from what I was able to watch all the dogs were freaking rad and kicked ass.

My girl was about 10 days into season on Friday so I had to keep her away from the other dogs and couldn't spend as much time spectating as I would have liked but what I did see was very cool. There were GSP's, Pudelpointers and pointing Griffon.

It was very cool meeting some new people and seeing these pups work.

Cazi and I had a great day and a lot of fun. I felt a little more nerves than I was expecting but nothing bad and ole Cazi did what she was born to do and Scored a 110 for a Prize 1. A 112 is the max points one can score and we were docked a couple on the tracking test which I believe was may fault as a first time handler in how I set her up and released her. I was allowed to hold her collar for a yard or two down the track to make sure she was on it but I basically stepped up and sent her on her way at the start instead of a few steps down the track. She still tracked enough to earn points but because she had to spend some time figuring things out we didn't get the full points available.

It truly was fun and great to see the other pups and if anyone has a pup younger than 16 months I highly recommend, if you haven't already, checking out your local NAVHDA chapter and running a test.

Congrats on the Prize 1 Brian. Sorry I missed it, I would have been assisting with the test at Prado, but signed up to help with the Snake Avoidance Clinic in Jamul instead. Did you join the San Diego Chapter?

Im taking my 10 month old Jagdterrier to my first NAVHDA event this weekend if it isnt rained out. I have no idea what to expect but i hear nothing but good things about it.

What is the natural ability test? is that where they just put the pups out there with minimal training and see what they do?

The NA test involves running the dog in a field with birds and the dog must find and point a few birds. There are no birds shot for the dog, and the dog does not have to be steady on point, but must return when called. This evaluates use of nose, cooperation, search and desire. The dog must also track a live pheasant that is released out of sight of the dog. The dog does not have to retrieve the bird, but he must follow the scent trail. This evaluates use of the nose and desire. The dog also must willingly enter the water and swim, bumpers can be used here. The entire time the dogs are being evaluated in those main areas, desire, nose and cooperation, search, pointing by three judges and then scored against a standard. The dogs do not compete against each other. Only dogs 16 months or less are eligible to run NA.

Congrats on the Prize 1 Brian. Sorry I missed it, I would have been assisting with the test at Prado, but signed up to help with the Snake Avoidance Clinic in Jamul instead. Did you join the San Diego Chapter?

I did join the SD chapter a few months ago along with the SoCal chapter. IE was the first one I joined a year ago and hopefully now I'll be able to make multiple training days each month.

Everyone in NAHVDA I've met so far has been the absolute best, you can tell everyone really loves hunting dogs and seeing them work.

Reactions: Huntndogs
Great write up Brian. I was sorry to miss the weekend but had to work. Glad your pup did well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu