Sac Goose Hunt

SluiceCoot

Oct 25, 2014
Rancho
I've been pretty quiet lately. With a new baby and a toddler my hunting this year has been sparse at best! (One dove hunt, one quail hunt, one quickie 3 day muley, ZERO duck hunting, and two goose hunts in the Sac Valley)

I hunted again with Kenny and damn there was a TON of water! seems like every river and creek overflowed. Yolo bypass was completely full. Looked pretty cool.

Anyways, we stayed again at Granzellas and hunted with Kenny. We caught a break in the weather and it was bluebird skies. Wind didn't kick up until late morning. We were able to squeak out some birds in the morning and nearly skunked in the evening. No kidding, we shot our only evening bird with 8 seconds to spare! Saw tens of thousands but getting them to come down with no wind is nearly impossible. The snows didn't want to play and the specks saved our day.

.IMG_1193.JPG IMG_1197.JPG

Nice trip

Its been very tough goose hunting for all of us in the Sac Valley, lots of geese but also lots of feed and water

Steve,

Staying at Granzella's, hunting with Kenny, and bagging a bunch of specks with friends is all good.....Sounds like a really fun trip.

Nice trip

Its been very tough goose hunting for all of us in the Sac Valley, lots of geese but also lots of feed and water
Yeah, Kenny said it's been one of the toughest years he's ever experienced. Kenny was saying you and Jeff hunt nearby and had similar experiences all season. I was excited to try his new blind set up just north of city limits but he was flooded out of that field pretty quick when Freshwater Creek overflowed.

The snows would just not commit. It's amazing too to see a single or a double get interested and start dropping altitude, only for the group to fly down and pick them back up. Almost seems like they are looking out for each other.

Too bad we can't shoot swans. Kenny mouth called some in when it was slow.

Yeh Steve it has been nothing less than a head scratching year.

Snow goose hunting this year has been so inconsistent this year that you really cant find a pattern. There have been days where you cant turn a one with weather, then you go out the next day, clear, moon out all night and they dive into spread. Cant get a pair of juvies to decoy, ten minutes later 500 come right in

Kenny still is the King of Valley and when he's struggling it only gets worse for bottom dwellers like me

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu