San Bernardino National Forest

S

Stick98841

What can you tell me about hunting in D14? Specifically San Bernardino National Forest
(Deer, quail, jackrabbit)

It's allot of work. I hunt D-14. We have some nice size Deer that you wont see unless you put in the miles. We got a few spots for Mountain Quail, None that I'm going to share unfortunately. Those are my hidden gems.

It can be done but like mentioned above you will need to beat feet to those areas the road hunter does not want to go. I got a nice 2x last year and saw close to 30 more deer but was not given a shot on the big boys. Put in the time and scout it will pay out huge. Best of luck

I've been trying to get info on this zone for a few months now also. Been looking on google earth for trails and roads. A lot of towns and houses up there so it's hard to tell where is legal for rifle and archery. Every time I try to go to the forestry office to get any info they basically don't know anything either. That's why I decided to go with D11 yet again this year. Hopefully I'll find out more info for next years season

I use onyx hunting maps on my computer and ipad and that works great for me. The more you get out there and look around the better. Try stopping by the fishing shop off big bear blvd and try asking them for some insight.

SoCalHunter27 said:
I've been trying to get info on this zone for a few months now also. Been looking on google earth for trails and roads. A lot of towns and houses up there so it's hard to tell where is legal for rifle and archery. Every time I try to go to the forestry office to get any info they basically don't know anything either. That's why I decided to go with D11 yet again this year. Hopefully I'll find out more info for next years season

Everywhere in D14 is legal for archery , and most of the area's by the town's are shotgun & archery only. Once you get about a mile in from any main road, your good to go for rifle. Most of D14 bucks aren't in populated areas.

Would hiking 10+ miles out and camping over night help much?

Stick98841 said:
Would hiking 10+ miles out and camping over night help much?

If your in the proper shape & have the endurance to be able to hike in 10+ miles and pack out another 80+ pounds then it wouldn't hurt to do in the eastern portion of D-14, But you have to consider the elevation and you will be near the desert. Also we just had the "Lake Fire" in that area. There's a ton of areas were you can camp and hike out only a few miles.

Sounds like D14 is possible then just a lot of work :p
I live near Santa Ana, if there a better area to look into?

I live in LA county (D11) but I have a cabin in Big Bear Lake (D14) and have been scouting for possible spots. The trick with D14 is the fact that there are a lot hiking and biking trails. Plus you have the PCT that runs through the ridge lines out there. For me personally, when I'm on a day hunt or an overnighter, I don't want to run into people and have them freak out when they see that I'm possessing a firearm. That being said, I strongly feel that D14 would be more practical for the all out bush-wacker type hunter. Park the truck and just head one direction. Climb rocks and hug hills if you have to. Think about deer, they are mountain animals, and they don't need trails. Neither do you.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu