San Diego scores for mule deer

paulfishes

Dec 12, 2012
What are the average scores for mule deer in San Diego? What is the biggest score out of San Diego? Whats your biggest final score for a local deer?

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Paul,

I'd say 90-110 is average.....Never measured any I've shot, but these are my biggest (last 2 pics) .....Here's a few pics of the highest scoring D-16 bucks that I know of......Josh' was 148 1/2"

golf tourney 11-15-10 003.JPG

. josh kettl giant deer.jpg ducks,doves,pheasants & deer 11-10 &11 2007 025.jpg Bucks & Wister 10-31-12 102.JPG

Reactions: Goyaałé
I follow these forums and from what I see (most) people shoot 4-6 points more forks then anything...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say average score is 65”-70”. Most bucks shot are young forky’s.
Takes a minimum score of 80” to enter into the CBH record book (archery) and most deer that are shot (archery or rifle) won’t make that minimum. To me any buck over 90” is a very nice buck. This is my best D16 buck 5B2F7D74-0347-478E-AF99-CD0BFE834C03.jpeg to date at 136”

I tried to measure mine with the B&C scoring diagram and I obviously did it wrong. Steve, can I bring it over and have you measure it? I'm just curious to see how to do it right and so I have a starting point to try and beat next time.

As deer get older, there antlers grow differently... guess I was wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're not wrong, but genetics will dictate what the deer is capable of achieving. There are a lot of bucks here that will never be anything but a giant fork horn. All Mule deer are not created equal in respect to antler potential. Every year people here shoot old, mature bucks that are big forks or 2x3's. Sometimes we see something bigger, but it's not the norm. It doesn't have anything to do with feed or people shooting bucks before they reach their potential.

I tried to measure mine with the B&C scoring diagram and I obviously did it wrong. Steve, can I bring it over and have you measure it? I'm just curious to see how to do it right and so I have a starting point to try and beat next time.

Anytime Paul.....Just give me a call.....I'll call Josh too.

There's some nice bucks around here, biggest one I've seen was in an alfalfa field in Temecula...looked like he had been eating it since he was born. However, most of the ones I've seen are forks.

Reactions: stikbrandon
The posted harvest numbers for D16 suggest that there are more and more 3pt and better bucks being harvested in the past couple of years. Compare those numbers from before the 2003 and 2007 wild fires in SD county and you'll notice that not only are more deer reported being harvested, but a larger percetage of 3pt and over deer are being taken! https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/hunting/deer#5477272-harvest-statistics

Personally, every buck I've harvested in SD has been a fork!

Reactions: Prime
There's some nice bucks around here, biggest one I've seen was in an alfalfa field in Temecula...looked like he had been eating it since he was born. However, most of the ones I've seen are forks.

What year was this?

The posted harvest numbers for D16 suggest that there are more and more 3pt and better bucks being harvested in the past couple of years. Compare those numbers from before the 2003 and 2007 wild fires in SD county and you'll notice that not only are more deer reported being harvested, but a larger percetage of 3pt and over deer are being taken! https://www.wildlife.ca.gov/hunting/deer#5477272-harvest-statistics

Personally, every buck I've harvested in SD has been a fork!

What’s interesting is the D16 tags never sold out till 2010. They have sold out every year since.
What changed ?

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu