San Diego turkey?

Drake Dunn

Nov 28, 2016
Ive been hunting a lot up north and this year I simply just don't want to drive 6 1/2 hours for 3 days.
So I'm just asking if anyone hunts turkey in SD area near Julian/Mt laguna? I got a map, and have done some scouting but am just asking if anyone has a good area for me to start at? Not asking exact places just general areas that I can start and figure my way around.
Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Drake,

Pretty easy finding places to hunt turkeys in SD Co.....Anywhere there's public land in east county can and will have turkeys.....Most popular areas are around Lake Sutherland, Lake Henshaw, Eagle Peak, and Boulder Creek Rds.

Invest in OnXMaps and get a paper CNF map.....Lots of private in amongst the public.....So, fine tuning is really important.

There's also the NWTF Spring Turkey Tune-Up (3rd Saturday in Feb). At the event, they raffle off hunts on the City of San Diego property that surrounds Lake Sutherland.....It's a great time and you can ask CNF personnel where they've seen birds.....7 gobblers were taken off the property last year.

ps.....NWTF San Diego chapter has meetings every 4th Tuesday of each month at Filippi's Pizzeria in Poway.....Starts at 6:30 pm.....You can learn a lot at these meetings.

.004.JPG

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Hi Drake,

Pretty easy finding places to hunt turkeys in SD Co.....Anywhere there's public land in east county can and will have turkeys.....Most popular areas are around Lake Sutherland, Lake Henshaw, Eagle Peak, and Boulder Creek Rds.

Invest in OnXMaps and get a paper CNF map.....Lots of private in amongst the public.....So, fine tuning is really important.

There's also the NWTF Spring Turkey Tune-Up (3rd Saturday in Feb). At the event, they raffle off hunts on the City of San Diego property that surrounds Lake Sutherland.....It's a great time and you can ask CNF personnel where they've seen birds.....7 gobblers were taken off the property last year.

ps.....NWTF San Diego chapter has meetings every 4th Tuesday of each month at Filippi's Pizzeria in Poway.....Starts at 6:30 pm.....You can learn a lot at these meetings.

I'll have to come check those out. I'm sure it's super hard to find a quitter place with not a lot of hunters cause of so many people in the area. Even if there was quiet areas I doubt you'd be openly sharing them. I'll have to check out those places cause I do have OnXmaps, and then some Topos from other places (not CNF) so I'll have to do some homework and see where I get.

Another question: while on those roads do you get off at any certain locations or just any turn out and then start walking?

Hi Drake,

.View attachment 33349

P.S.
Beautiful picture

Another question: while on those roads do you get off at any certain locations or just any turn out and then start walking?

There are turnouts up and down the roads.....There's also private property up and down most these roads.....Between your OnXmaps & maps, you'll figure it out.

Finding a quiet spot will be must easier, if you hunt Mon-Fri.....And you will be surprised how much quieter it gets after opening week-end too.

ps.....I start hardcore scouting in February, but once spring dispersal starts, they could be anywhere.

Where do you usually see them then on non private

no one is going to cough that up. you basically need to spend time , money on gas , and feet on the ground. and start scouting. like Steve said. during the week is the best time to look....
Just look at the habitats that Turkeys like, such as a water source, lots of wild feed, and lots of trees. Turkey's roost at night high up in trees. don't try to stalk them , that is a good way to chase them away for good.. go early before day light, at good Turkey terrain and listen for them. they will try to locate each other, and look visually..
I will listen for their locator calls in the morning.. and learn their patterns of where they roost and where they like to feed. Turkey eye sight is so sharp and keen if they see something they don't like. poof they are gone. dress very well in camo. as well as the weapon of choice. no shiny or UN natural or they will spot you in a heartbeat. Also unless you are very very good at making locator calls they can tell. lots of people try to call to much and if isn't done right. poof gone.and never Gobble in public land. to many ding dongs out there will think it's Gobbler and try to stalk you.. hear about that a lot. People getting shot.. I just touched the surface. ask questions and more will chime in.

no one is going to cough that up. you basically need to spend time , money on gas , and feet on the ground. and start scouting. like Steve said. during the week is the best time to look....
Just look at the habitats that Turkeys like, such as a water source, lots of wild feed, and lots of trees. Turkey's roost at night high up in trees. don't try to stalk them , that is a good way to chase them away for good.. go early before day light, at good Turkey terrain and listen for them. they will try to locate each other, and look visually..
I will listen for their locator calls in the morning.. and learn their patterns of where they roost and where they like to feed. Turkey eye sight is so sharp and keen if they see something they don't like. poof they are gone. dress very well in camo. as well as the weapon of choice. no shiny or UN natural or they will spot you in a heartbeat. Also unless you are very very good at making locator calls they can tell. lots of people try to call to much and if isn't done right. poof gone.and never Gobble in public land. to many ding dongs out there will think it's Gobbler and try to stalk you.. hear about that a lot. People getting shot.. I just touched the surface. ask questions and more will chime in.

So is setting up a decoy/calling useless on public land unless I want to get shot at?
I have both so is it a good idea to just use a decoy and a blind?

Calling is necessary for landing a spring gobbler here, and decoys are very helpful. The common advice is to not setup a jake or tom decoy on public land, as there will be many trigger happy hunters who may take a shot at it. Depending on the situation though, I may run a jake/hen (not heeding my own advice) or a flock of feeding hens.

Reactions: longbowhunter2
it's OK to use Turkey locator calls. just don't use the Gobble call. YouTube that so you know the difference. I would also really highly recommend Steve's advice and go to the NWTF and learn from those guy's . because they are pros. it's a personnel preference. I think San Diego Turkeys can spot a blind so I don't use them. I personally prefer a natural blind or a good old big tree , and keep well hidden from their eye sight. any movement of the hunter and your done. You know it's bad when you are in an area and there is like 10 blinds setup. and every one is calling. with decoys. no one ever see's any thing. find that secluded area. that is quite and no movement with hunters everywhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
Calling is necessary for landing a spring gobbler here, and decoys are very helpful. The common advice is to not setup a jake or tom decoy on public land, as there will be many trigger happy hunters who may take a shot at it. Depending on the situation though, I may run a jake/hen (not heeding my own advice) or a flock of feeding hens.
yes X2

Almost sounds like it's more dangerous then it is anything to hunt around here. Might just need to wait until archery season opens

Last edited by a moderator:
Almost sounds like it's more dangerous then it is anything to hunt around here. Might just need to wait until archery season opens

Drake,

It can be, but not if you do your homework.....When I hunted all public, I would find small little spots that were absent of other hunters.....And it doesn't have to be miles from everything either (but near private).....The fact your using a bow will help too.....The Laguna's are archery only.....That alone will eliminate half the Yahoos.....You also get 2 weeks at the end of the season that's AO.

Decoys are a nice tool, but not necessary.....In fact, in many situations you don't want one.....Archery though is different.....They're almost required (along with a ground blind), because of the drawing of the bow.....Like Lee said, movement is not an option.

You said you were tired of hunting up north.....Have you shot turkeys with a gun or bow before?.....6 1/2 hours in my book isn't bad.....lol

Drake,

It can be, but not if you do your homework.....When I hunted all public, I would find small little spots that were absent of other hunters.....And it doesn't have to be miles from everything either (but near private).....The fact your using a bow will help too.....The Laguna's are archery only.....That alone will eliminate half the Yahoos.....You also get 2 weeks at the end of the season that's AO.

Decoys are a nice tool, but not necessary.....In fact, in many situations you don't want one.....Archery though is different.....They're almost required (along with a ground blind), because of the drawing of the bow.....Like Lee said, movement is not an option.

You said you were tired of hunting up north.....Have you shot turkeys with a gun or bow before?.....6 1/2 hours in my book isn't bad.....lol

I've only shot small game/deer with a bow, never rifle/gun hunted.
The laguna mt from what I hear is a good idea cause I'm archery but no one has said anything on where to go. So I'm just going with the leads you and anyone else has given me

Laguna Mt. Recreational Area is pretty big and I personally don't know it very well.....Nobody on here or any other site are not going to tell you exactly where they hunt.....That's all on you.....Finding birds this time of year will put you in the general area.....But again, it will all change when spring dispersal happens next spring.....Take a drive up there.....Beautiful country.

Good luck

ps.....You may want to invest in a shotgun.....Getting a turkey with one of those ain't that easy either.....;)

Laguna Mt. Recreational Area is pretty big and I personally don't know it very well.....Nobody on here or any other site are not going to tell you exactly where they hunt.....That's all on you.....Finding birds this time of year will put you in the general area.....But again, it will all change when spring dispersal happens next spring.....Take a drive up there.....Beautiful country.

Good luck

ps.....You may want to invest in a shotgun.....Getting a turkey with one of those ain't that easy either.....;)

I have 3 shots guns hahaha just personally like a bow a lot more

Is it a good idea to hunt from a tree stand then with a bow since movement is my biggest enemy

it can be safe and rewarding. best advice is don't stalk. people who try to stalk turkeys accidentally shoot other hunters. if you still hunt , blind, natural blind, or sitting next to a tree. is the safest. Just Don't make a Gobble call. because there is hunter's out there that will stalk. it is very safe, just keep your sense's at high alert. alway's watch , listen to your surroundings. and all will be well.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu