San Felipe Wildlife Area

wingshooterkj

Oct 16, 2016
thinking about hitting this spot for quail this weekend. Is it worth my time, are there birds in the area? Witch side of S2 should I focus on? Any advice is appreciated!

KJ,

There are quail there (both sides), but remember they've been chased since October.....Anybody still alive knows the routine and head right for the thickest $hit they can find.....I drive by there about 4 times a week.....Rarely do i not see somebody hunting quail on week-ends.

You may want to try the Granite Mt. Unit down the street on Hwy 78.....Maybe a few less hunters know about that.....I have walked it looking for deer and have never heard or seen quail though.

KJ,

There are quail there (both sides), but remember they've been chased since October.....Anybody still alive knows the routine and head right for the thickest $hit they can find.....I drive by there about 4 times a week.....Rarely do i not see somebody hunting quail on week-ends.

You may want to try the Granite Mt. Unit down the street on Hwy 78.....Maybe a few less hunters know about that.....I have walked it looking for deer and have never heard or seen quail though.

Wow, I didn’t realize this Area got hit that hard. I may still give it a shot, more so just because I’d like to explore the area. Also thinking about trying the beauty mountain area south west of Anza. Thanks for the info. I’ll post back here with a report if I decide to check it out!

Reactions: DoubleTrouble
Marginal at best, With so few places left to hunt these day's it's very stressed by pressure and drought. We live close by and spent a total of one day looking around with no good results. All of you that follow my comments know that I would encourage you to let them be be and wait for better times. I've seen times there when it's game on but now is not one of those times.

As said above, quail there is slim pickens. I used to hunt the Granite Mtn Unit a lot for jackrabbits, and I've only seen quail there once. The most quail I've seen at San Felipe has been west of S2, running from the middle of the WA to the north end. But that was a few years ago. And as others have mentioned, drive by any weekend day in season and you'll see more than a few hunters' trucks lining the highway.

Hunted this area for the first time, this morning, for a few hours. My GPS said I walked 4.5 miles but the walking is pretty easy here. Did two big loops in different sections of the wildlife area and on the second loop headed back towards the truck my German Shorthaired Pointer found a covey of about 25-30 birds from witch I bagged a nice pair of juvenile birds. We’ve had a pretty damn good season this year and this trip was mainly hit to scout a new area so I called it a day after this first covey. But I’m sure if I were to hunt it a little harder we could have found more birds, there are lots of areas that look good! I did see two other trucks there but didn’t hear any shooting.

.CAFBBDB0-80EC-4787-80FD-22586BF9CBEA.jpeg 5604C0C3-7307-48C5-8D67-AA9A0435234C.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu