San Jacinto Wildlife Area?

outdoordave

Jul 5, 2012
Murrieta, CA
So I have some free time tomorrow and my wife is having me run up to Riverside to help a coworker for an hour or so. Not gonna waste the trip. However, I have never hunted the wildlife area and want to but can not get a hold of anyone for reservations or to try and figure out which permit I need (A or B). Does anyone know if they are open this year and what the particulars are? I have my duck and fed stamps, steel shot, the site says show up at three to get into the lottery... Thanks,

I think that is the deal there...make it happen and fill us in.

i am far from a refuge guy but here is what you do......
SJ is like Wister in that you have to apply online for a drawing in advance of the dates you want to go. visit this link and apply
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/licensing/waterfowl/waterfowlresinfo.html
i think its 30 days out or something not to sure.
If you fail to get drawn or just want to show up you can go down and get in what is called the sweat line. The way this works is lets say you have 30 blinds and only 29 show up, The guy first in the sweat line will get to pick a blind. If only 15 reservations show up then 15 guys from the sweat line will get on before first light. Now if you fail to get on before day break you can refill blinds as they are vacated. ie if you are next in line and at 9am the guys in blind g24 leave you can then fill that blind.

I AM not the guy to tell you what time to show up or how far back in the line you are likely to get in before dawn or even during the day

My guess is that a lot of reservations will no show this week with few birds being shot

thanks Baja! That's the info I was looking for. I am going this water fowling thing solo. I prefer to hunt public land for upland game but not sure of where any is yet for ducks. I've found some south but figured if I'm gonna be right there might as well give it a go. At minimum it will be great learning experience. I tried calling the number on line and it rang and rang, tried for three hours. All the info on the site is still 11/12 not 12/13 so I wasn't sure if they closed it because a tree hugger or bad conditions, or someone didn't paint enough frog legs yellow. I'll let you know how it goes if I get in.

Thanks Desert, I was just jumping on to thank Baja again for the link because I just saw the same thing :-(, good news is I will take a box of 6shot with me and go see what's cracking on the upland game side. While I'm there I'll get all the info for the Wednesday hunts. Might be an extra trip but at least I'll be trying.

If I was you, I would still take steel over to the upland side... Never know if you may end up jumpin some quacks

Thanks Desert, I was wondering that, if you are running steel and jump some ducks on the upland side can you shoot them?. I didn't get to stop today. The project my wife volun-told me for was far more than... "Hey, can Dave swing by and put up some pics in our office?' Turned into about, 30 pics/paintings, building some office funiture, 3 mirrors and some other stuff, lol. HOWEVER, I plan on sitting in the sweat line tomorrow. I've been trying to call again today and still no answers :(.
Desert are you familiar with the area? Woudn't mind a little intel if you have any.

I have been there 2X. Once on the upland side & another a couple weeks ago on a Wed afternoon after work & got on the refill list. Waited ~15 minutes till someone came in & none of the other people wanted it. I took it not knowing/caring what it was. It was a nice pit blind on an island. The guys at the office were very helpful. Make sure to return to office so they can log what you did/didn't get.

Hey desert made it out to San Jac WA today, talked to the warden out there and just FYI you can not hunt ducks on the upland side. He said only rabbits, quail, dove and snipe (if you want to hunt snipe)

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu