Scouting during archery season. etiquette?

oscar

Feb 2, 2018
Corona ca.
I happen to have some time to scout on sept 1. opening day for you bow and arrow folk. Since i'm a noob I don't want to be "that guy" and mess up someones hunt. Any advice you can give me if I see a hunter set up? Is it time to break out the orange?
i'll be solo, out before day break trying to come up with a few ambush sites before rifle season. I plan to set out cams after morning has passed and check out some plan b, and c. areas during the afternoon. I'll pick up the cams next week.

Honestly that's the wrong day to scout. Just skip opening day and let the bow hunters have it. After that it's game on.
After opening day the number of hunters will drop and the deer will return to their more normal paterns.

So if you do happen on a hunter in a stand. Just back out and be chill. Don't say sorry or ask how the hunting has been.

Don't worry as much about walking in the dark. Scouting is more about looking for sign. Tracks and shit are just as useful as seeing them. Walk in after sun up so you can see(deer live next to roads too)

Wearing orange would make an easier target for me to hit if they bust my setup on deer opener You have some time, scout now before opener or wait a bit after.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
X2 start now, if you find sign tracks and scat do less walking and more scanning with binos and spotting scope
I seen deer disappear after opener because of the pressure from hunters walking all over and leaving human scent.

Reactions: oscar
agreed. I'll give em the opener. My schedule is tight, but I can make that adjustment. After that i plan on giving them a wide berth. Those golden hours in my mind are for sitting and watching. I plan on doing my walking after 9.

Its a slippery slope. Give them opener that's fine but its hunting season, a great example is quail season will be open during deer season. I have no problem with guys running their dogs and looking for quail while I am out deer hunting. It's public land everyone gets the equal amount of access and rights. Mountain bikers are not going to stop coming down noble canyon just because its deer season. Some of the best coyote hunting is coming up and it coincides with deer season I don't expect the big time predator guys to stay home and give those young pups a pass because I am looking for deer. For some reason we put deer above other animals and other hunters. If a guy decides he wants to go hunt squirrel or rabbit more power to him its his land to.

Bottom line is be respectful and aware of what is going on around you. If you know there is a guy with his in a canyon or on a ridge eave him alone. I had a chance to go after a nice buck in AZ last year started to move on him and then realized there were a couple of guys on the same stalk. I backed out and watched them blow it. They were on the deer first and I respected that. If you have the expectation that you are going to get out on public land and never have to deal with other people you probably should be hunting on private. Other people and hunters are part of the fun on public. I have hiked into places where I thought for sure no one would be there and sure enough her comes a guy over the ridge.

It is true it is public land and every person has access rights. But and I mean but, keep in mind these are newbies asking for help and advice. Let's get them started on the right track. They have every right to access any where on public land.
The point is because they can. it is not advisable to do so on opener.
And advise to try and scout long before the season starts.
That is the point of this conversation.
Is he not allowed to scout as he feels. Wrong he can scout when ever he likes. And has the right to do so. But when doing so he may get cussed out for busting other hunters spots. That are all ready there. There has been many times when there was a hunter in my spot. I just politely back out and let the guy hunt in peace.
I believe these discussions are excellent forms of communication to prevent mis understandings during hunting season. So as to instill respect, politeness, and courtesy.
After the hunt in the mornings some of the best times is meeting other hunters and kicking it with chit chat.
As our public land gets squeezed tighter ever year little at time there is plenty of room for everyone.

In mornings before day light. I like to discuss with other hunters were they are going so as to stay out of each other ways and for safety to prevent accidents. Best to everyone
Longbow

scout after 11 or 12 pm. hunters wait for the opening day me included , so respect others if you want some respect .

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu