Scrapes and mock scrapes.

jlroberts100

Aug 3, 2012
San Diego
I have these two big scrapes with licking branches, about 50 yards from my tree stand. Always seem to be freshly used but haven't seen any bucks while in the stand...yet. Anyone ever make a mock scrape and have success? If so, use scents? What kind? Or should I just stay patient and hope he steps out? Have a 3x3 in the area (on camera), a 2x3, and a very large long tined 2x2. Last picture I got during daylight was the 3x3 walking by with two doe, at 9am. What's a guy to do!? No pattern at all, completely random walk throughs, at crazy hours! D-16 Zone. IMG_4228.JPGIMG_4229.JPGIMG_4230.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Goyaałé
1st off, not sure those are deer scrapes.....Secondly, I've never seen a mule deer scrape.....Mule deer rubs, absolutely.....This little bush was fully leaved at one time.

If your trail cam is telling you there's bucks in that area.....I'd be hunting it every day you can.

.025.JPG

They both have large deer tracks in them and the branches above are chewed on. I haven't found any rubs in my area. Fairly certain I'm in a travel corridor between bedding and water/food source. Hopefully a pattern emerges on my camera.

1st off, not sure those are deer scrapes.....Secondly, I've never seen a mule deer scrape.....Mule deer rubs, absolutely.....This little bush was fully leaved at one time.

If your trail cam is telling you there's bucks in that area.....I'd be hunting it every day you can.

.View attachment 33180

Buck mulies don't pattern to well but that also means new bucks will come by......

Mulies don't behave like WT back east. Scrapes were my favorite way to hunt them. Only downside I CAN'T hunt in deer stand anymore......ugh

They look more like deer beds !!
I never seen before a Rub in laguna area or san diego area.
For mock scrape I use buck urine fron code blue with great results. the second picture a doe making pee on the scrape . I have many does in september for my A22 and AO but i want to kill 2 Bucks this year if not a take a doe.
IMG_8314[1].JPG IMG_8302[1].JPG

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu