Silent Morning. New Hunter Looking for Feedback

OnTwoWheels89

Aug 26, 2022
Tried something different this morning since I have not been able to get responses from the gobblers once they hit the ground. Brought a lightweight pop up blind and sat in the same spot for about 6 hours this morning. Didn't see or hear anything, no shots from other hunters either. I am in my 3rd year hunting, learning everything on my own by trial and error. Have not found success with Turkeys/Deer yet, but managed a few dove/quail.
Is setting up a blind like this with no decoy (public land) worth it? Or should I go back to being more mobile? I have jakes on camera near this spot, but not exactly where I set up my blind.
My tactic this season has been mostly sit and call for 45-90 minutes then move a few hundred yards and try again. Any roasting/feedback/tips for a new hunter would be much appreciated!

PS. This is a heavily pressured public land spot in D16, these pictures are not burning anyone's secret area. I had a hunter walk up to within 100yds of the back of my blind today. We waived politely and he turned around.

Blind.jpg03240289.JPG

Patience, you've got that.
Find their roost and try to patern their move once they hit the gound.

Soft tree yelps, don't hammer him/over call.
Once he responds to your call, he knows you're there.

Set up in the area where you see em traveling and get ahead of him if you can

Look for strutting signs-often he'll come back looking for that hen (you) that he heard eaier in the day -often silent

Ive waited all day, 3pm last week and that ole joke came in solo to his strutt zone...Public

20230413_111609.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Look for strutting signs-often he'll come back looking for that hen (you) that he heard eaier in the day -often silent

Ive waited all day, 3pm last week and that ole joke came in solo to his strutt zone...Public
Yup, if you can find the roost you can observe them when they fly down, and the next day set up an ambush. They will pretty much use the same path daily unless disturbed.

Nice bird! Thank you for the tips.

Yup, if you can find the roost you can observe them when they fly down, and the next day set up an ambush. They will pretty much use the same path daily unless disturbed.

Disturbed kind mean a lot of things...A cat moves into the area, hunters move into the area, hikers move into the area, etc...The other disturbing factor is over calling or going hard on a box call...By now they've (turkeys) heard it all and hens right now are mostly bred and you're dealing with Jenny's...Jenny's don't like competition...So, when you go wailing away yelping on your box...That's not natural or liked by young hens....They're some exceptions...Windy days are the time to use those loud calls...They can hear a long ways...Way farther than you...So, many times you don't hear thge 1st (and sometimes only) gobble...If you do hear a gobble...He ain't far away and get on high alert.

Even on the "Best 40 acres" in San Diego, things change daily (that includes roost trees)...If you know turkeys are in the area...Keep going to the well...Fine tune your efforts by looking for fresh sign and if you can, move around...By staying all day in a spot that has not produced, you're depending too much on the luck factor....Hunt!...Good luck

ps...I never use a ground blind.

Reactions: OnTwoWheels89
You only want to use a ground blind if your archery hunting and then only if you are going to be in the area for four or five days to give them time to get used to seeing it. They know when something is new and seems out of place to them same with deer by the way. Most people who use them successfully are on private property and leave them up for a couple of weeks before the season starts.

You only want to use a ground blind if your archery hunting and then only if you are going to be in the area for four or five days to give them time to get used to seeing it. They know when something is new and seems out of place to them same with deer by the way. Most people who use them successfully are on private property and leave them up for a couple of weeks before the season starts.
Yup

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu