SoCal New Hunter

NateJ_33

Nov 13, 2023
Been backpacking and hiking for the passed few years and am looking to start getting into hunting in 2024. I recently got my license, but held off on tags thus far as the seasons look to be coming to a close. The closest access I have is D15, however everything I’ve read and listened to, suggests that it’s one of, if not the hardest unit to hunt. I was curious is anyone had any suggested units for a first time hunter? I plan on putting in for the X10 draw since I have access to roughly 500 acres of private, but seeing as the tag count is low for the area, it seems like a long shot for a first year. I also am waiting to hear about possible access to some private in A South. If that comes through, I might opt for deer, boar, and upland bird tags. Any tips anyone has for getting started or for finding scouting/hunting buddies in the OC area would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to SCH....Yes, D-15 can be tough, but guys get bucks there every year...The "16" is just a little further south and has a lot more public lands to hunt...Shotgunning the IV is more than worth the drive...Ask a lot of questions and guys will help you....Good luck

Reactions: mr_breakfast_

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu