Crosman999

Jul 26, 2015
Ventura, CA
Here is something I wrote that may help those of you who are new to small game. These techniques can work for Cottontails as well as hares. I use an airgun but any type of rifle or shotgun will get the job done. Footwear and the way you walk is often overlooked by new hunters and I think this may help some.

I decided to write this guide hoping to encourage new shooters to get out and try hunting these amazingly elusive animals. Jackrabbit hunting in the open desert with an airgun requires careful stalking (inside of 40-50 yards) and demands precise shot placement. It requires a good amount of skill and patience but can be very exciting.Jackrabbits can be found throughout the United States but my focus is the Black-tailed Jackrabbit (Lepus californicus) that is found throughout most inland parts of california.

The habitat I’m most familiar with hunting them is the high desert and wooded forested areas in the 3000/4000ft elevation range. Black-tailed jackrabbits occupy mixed shrub-grassland terrains. Their breeding depends on the location; it typically peaks in spring.Young are born fully furred with eyes open; they are well camouflaged and are mobile within minutes of birth, thus females do not protect or even stay with the young except during nursing. They do not migrate or hibernate during winter and use the same habitat of 0.4 to 1.2 miles year-round.Where you find one I can guarantee many as the average litter size is around four, but as high as seven.They have many predators such as raptors and carnivorous mammals, such as hawks, owls, coyotes, foxes, and wild cats.On several occasions I have spotted a coyote stalking them.

Black-tailed jackrabbit populations are common in sagebrush, creosote-bush and other desert shrub-lands: palouse, shortgrass, and mixed-grass prairies; desert grassland; open-canopy chaparral; oak and pinyon-juniper woodlands; and early seral (succeeding each other), low- to mid-elevation coniferous forests.

Woodland Mountain Habitat(below)

Jackrabbits prefer open areas where they can see predators coming, they are active primarily at night. During the day they lie crouched in a “form” a small indentation they make in the dirt.(below)

When they are in the form they usually have ears back and are fairly flat against the ground making them very difficult to see. Active areas will usually always have “forms”and usually always will have droppings and sometimes signs of fresh urine.

Now that we have learned a bit about Jackrabbits lets take some time to discuss gear needed to head out and find them.
Enclosed is just a basic list of items I usually carry that can change with the area, time of year and the amount of time I will be in the field.

-Backpack capable of carrying items(camo prefered)
-A good accurate gun,not recommending under 24 fpe
-More water than you think you need
-Food/snacks
-Knife
-Lighter/matches
-Plastic bag
-Rangfinder/binoculars
-Multitool
-Spare magazines
-Pellets
-Sun hat
-Camera
-Longer hunts may require buddy bottle if using PCP gun
-Shooting sticks although I rarely use them
-Cooler & ice for the meat
*(NOTE)Always let someone know where you are on a
map and when you will return.

I also use a good amount of camo, sometimes even covering my face in the colder months. Footwear is critical as I’m usually doing a lot of hiking. For myself It took me a longtime to learn how to walk while hunting, this was my biggest learning curve other than knowing where to look for Jackrabbits. I found myself time and time again going to fast having the Jackrabbits hear or see me well before I could even get a shot. Slow down with light steps and don’t be afraid to stop for a moment to look around, sometimes you can spot them several yards in front of you if your lucky. If you find one they are usually EVERYWHERE but are amazing in they’re ability to blend in. In the morning hours as the sun comes up you can sometimes spot the luminous peachy glow of their ears when they’ve been back-lit by the sun. This in my opinion is the easiest way to hunt them.

I usually like to start my hunts 30 minutes before sunrise and have found Jackrabbits to be most active till approx 10:00 am, after that they are usually back in a form against a tree or thicket. Another option for jackrabbit hunting is to find an area they are active and simply still hunt waiting for one to pass in front of your line of sight. When I hunt this way I usually like to try and find high ground if possible. During the middle of the day I find that Jackrabbits all tend to stay in the shade or thick parts of cover, usually always near an open field. Here is just a small example of where I would be looking for them,this is a prime desert habitat.

Many times when hiking I will spring one from a bush or area they are hiding, usually they will stop to freeze for several seconds allowing just enough time to make a shot.Jackrabbits usually always will run in a circle, eventually always ending back where you saw them. Some say that whistling can get them to stop but I have never had luck the many times I have tried. They run approx 1 to 2 miles so it may take an hour or so for them to return, again this is only my experience and may not always be the case.

Most of the time I park and then make a 1 mile wide circle around my truck, ending up back at the truck. You can also walk a long ridge looking downhill and then back on the adjacent ridge to the vehicle. You have to be able to spot them sitting (usually under a tree) at 30-100 yards and set up for a shot. Sometimes you only have seconds to spot and take a shot, with an airgun it can be frustrating.

You can hunt effectively with groups of 1-3 people that walk parallel to each other 50-75 yards apart. Everyone must be in sight of each other at all times and be aware of their safe shooting lanes (no shots at all on the side where the other person is). Walking a large loop around, staying even with each other gives good opportunity to flush more Jackrabbits and can get very exciting. In the event you are able to make a kill its a good idea to dress your jackrabbits at the first opportunity and put them on ice.

Even though you cleaned your Jackrabbit in the field, you still need to give the meat a good second cleaning at home to get it ready for the table or the freezer. Use cold water to wash off any blood or dirt from the meat. Trim away any damaged meat & discard all bruised and bloodshot pieces. Trim and discard the major tendons and tough connective tissues.

Jackrabbit hunting is very rewarding and some of the most fun I’ve had using an air rifle. Some Jackrabbits can get very large, some resembling small dogs.

Hope the assortment of info provided may give enjoyment and to help someone get started in jackrabbit hunting.

Happy Hunting
cool.gif

Related
"Cottontail" "Jackrabbits" "coyotes"

Wow!........What a write-up.......Thanks for taking the time.......I feel I should go hunt those sum bitches.......:laughing:

.scan045.jpg

Cros, that is an absolutely brilliant post. Thanks for taking the time. A lot of folks don't care for jackrabbit, but you clearly enjoy eating the meat. What is your favorite recipe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

that's a great write up Thank you. one of my favorite things to do when not much else is in season is to sit on a ridge with a 223 loaded with 36g and wait for them to start moving. im amazed at your ability with the air guns.

Cros, that is an absolutely brilliant post. Thanks for taking the time. A lot of folks don't care for jackrabbit, but you clearly enjoy eating the meat. What is your favorite recipe?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you! I have cooked them several ways but for taste I have to say definitely a crock pot with diced potatoes, carrots and Garlic Salt. If I'm cooking in the field I will cut the meat into small strips and cook faster than usual. Cottontails make better meals in the bush...haha I know,I'm a caveman!

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Excellent write up and post. those are the hot tips. even for us experience hunters. rabbit hunting is fun. and getting a few. makes the day.
walking very slow and stopping often is the key.

Reactions: Bonejour
soaking in brine helps 24 hours prior to cooking. helps remove the gamey taste. so they say. i like it.
I have tried that too but have found that lemon juice works good soaking inside a large zip lock bag. When we are out for several days our crew always eats well. It's fun to try different ways of cooking. I love it!

Reactions: longbowhunter2
Great Article and it had lots of great information gained through numerous adventures. Have only eaten a few Jacks but will have to get out in the spring to try it again!!

This write up has given me more incentive to go out and scout some areas. I live in Temecula, Ca and will probably have to drive a good distance. Fun hiking time with the family while scout.
Thanks again for the write-up.

Loving those peachy glows! Went hunting with the kid few days ago and he busted one 15 yards from him. Never got a shot with the shotgun so we let him run. He got behind a brush and I spotted his glowing ears through it with binos. 170 yards away. Thanks for the tip.

BTW, had my first jack last night with the family. 12 hours brine, buttermilk fried. Not bad at all. Favorite parts where the saddle and hind legs. I did get a gamey bite that I had to spit out and it was part of the pelvis area. Note: takes forever to fry and can't go past medium high heat.

Last edited:
Loving those peachy glows! Went hunting with the kid few days ago and he busted one 15 yards from him. Never got a shot with the shotgun so we let him run. He got behind a brush and I spotted his glowing ears through it with binos. 170 yards away. Thanks for the tip.

BTW, had my first jack last night with the family. 12 hours brine, buttermilk fried. Not bad at all. Favorite parts where the saddle and hind legs. I did get a gamey bite that I had to spit out and it was part of the pelvis area. Note: takes forever to fry and can't go past medium high heat.
Big congrats to you and your boy! That's what it's all about,so good to hear!

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu