Springville pig hunt

Bonejour

Rut - Me worry?
Jan 27, 2013
Many of you know how much I love a pig hunt. I also love to hunt alongside my good friend Neil Ray of Giant Sequoia Guide Service. So when Neil called me back in February to ask if I was interested in coming up for a weekend, I answered "SURE" even before he had finished asking the question.
We set it up for this weekend. I prefer to hunt pigs with my bow these days, but there is a lot of open country up here so I brought my trusted A-bolt .30-06 as backup, sighted in with 168gr Barnes TTSX factory loads. At 3" high at 100 yards, point blank range reaches out to 350yds.
Traffic coming up was a bear; I should have called Aeon to learn the current construction on LA freeways ;)
Arrived yesterday early evening and we headed right out. There is lots of water and the grass is very high.
Will post pics later.
We saw two good boars last evening. The first was in heavy cover at only 16 yards, but I couldn't get a clear shot. I drew but didn't release. At last light we came up on another larger boat, maybe 275lbs, range 40 yards, but he retreated into the high grass and I couldn't see his outline well enough to release in the failing light. Again, I drew but didn't release.
One good thing is that both boars seemed like they were content to just hunker down. Neither of them ran the way pressured pigs usually do, so we didn't push them. We struck out completely this morning but we'll head back out this afternoon. Both pigs seemed like they planned to stick around. So will we.
Stand by for updates...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I'm super jealous, but good luck. Look forward to seeing a big toad.
I'm hoping I can get Dash on some pigs this year.

Reactions: Bonejour
Those jagds are built for it. Incredibly tough and agile little dogs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMG_2752.JPG IMG_2758.JPG IMG_2754.JPG Thanks gentlemen. After a quiet afternoon avoiding the heat of the day, we headed back out around 6:30pm. We were looking for the two boars we saw yesterday. No sign of them at the old spots.
So we moved along the creek beds, all of which are flowing, looking for sign. As we rounded a bend, we surprised a mid-sized boar and sow down close to the water. They took off up the hill in the open country. As this was going to be a chase uphill, as opposed to a stalk, I grabbed the rifle and followed Neil.
We raced up the hill through the chest-high foxtails. As we crested the hill, we got a glimpse of one of the pigs crossing the ridge. It was hard to see them in the tall grass, but we knew they wouldn't double back downhill. They would take cover in the next draw or continue up the ridge. We paused to Scout the cut to our left, then worked our way slowly up the ridge, keeping the cut in view. After a couple of minutes, we saw a pig in the foxtails on the other side of the cut. It saw us and hunkered down before we could identity it. Then its partner emerged farther up on the opposite side of the cut. The uphill pig was the sow, so we settled down to let the boar make the next move. With some coaxing, he started up the hill, clearing the grass. My first shot missed high, but my second shot struck home. Down he went, rolling down the steep grade into creek at the base of the cut.
Nice pig. Nice hunt. Always great hunting with Neil.
PS: be careful where you step! The video is too large to post, but you get the picture. He started rattling as I stepped over him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Big ugly one! The best kind. Congrats Don. You no Gators on in the picture were you wearing them in that tall grass? Snakes was the first thing that came to mind after your first post. Scary country to be hiking through with the grass so tall.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu