Stone Glacier Packs / Killer Spotting Scope Deal

JakeSCH

Oct 16, 2017
Has anyone here had field experience with Stone Glacier Packs? I really need an upgrade my worn down cheap pack into something that is meant to backpacking / hauling loads. I know many people on here recommend kuiu but I can't seem to shake the idea of stone glacier.

On a completely different side note, Midway USA is offering a killer deal on last years model Vortex Razor HD 20-60x X 85 mm (65 oz) spotting scope with the pro-gt tripod for $876. I was leaning toward the 11-33x X 50 (25 oz) for being less than half of the weight but for the same price I ended up buying the bigger one. I figured I will toss it in my old pack and hall it around to see if the extra couple of lbs makes a difference...which I could get that weight back by using a Stone Glacier. So many trade-offs.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/9...85mm-angled-body-green-with-pro-gt-tripod-kit

Reactions: TRICER
I like stone glacier I have the EXO 3500 and love it but it is a little heavier than the Stone Glacier. I love the weight of the SG but it will force you to be organized since it has very minimal pockets also I am skeptical they will hold up to the kind of manzanita bush waking we do here in So Cal. If I had to do it again it would be a very tough call between the SG and EXO. Both are made in USA which is very important to me.

Reactions: BOWUNTR and JakeSCH
Has anyone here had field experience with Stone Glacier Packs? I really need an upgrade my worn down cheap pack into something that is meant to backpacking / hauling loads. I know many people on here recommend kuiu but I can't seem to shake the idea of stone glacier.

On a completely different side note, Midway USA is offering a killer deal on last years model Vortex Razor HD 20-60x X 85 mm (65 oz) spotting scope with the pro-gt tripod for $876. I was leaning toward the 11-33x X 50 (25 oz) for being less than half of the weight but for the same price I ended up buying the bigger one. I figured I will toss it in my old pack and hall it around to see if the extra couple of lbs makes a difference...which I could get that weight back by using a Stone Glacier. So many trade-offs.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/9...85mm-angled-body-green-with-pro-gt-tripod-kit

The Vortex in the link above is not last years model. Its a 3 year old scope. And they are out...

Can't beat the Stone Glacier or the Kuiu.

Reactions: JakeSCH
The Vortex in the link above is not last years model. Its a 3 year old scope. And they are out...

Can't beat the Stone Glacier or the Kuiu.

Good to know! I just assumed it was last year’s since it was no longer produced. I guess what they say about assuming is right.

I appreciate your input!

Reactions: NBK
Mystery ranch or Kifaru is what I recommend. Both carry lots of weight, durable & flexible.

I do some deep hunts seen & used lots of different packs. These two standout by far and seem to never fail.

Reactions: JakeSCH
Still have not decided on the back expect for the fact that I eliminated SG and added a few others to my list. All are great and will just have to make a choice, I appreciate all your input!

I got my spotting scope last week and got to mess with it all weekend, I really am impressed by Vortex Razor HD glass. I could not believe how detail I could see through that spotter. Now I am thinking about picking up some of their bino's and retiring my old Nikon Monarch ATB's.

I made my final decision and I am going with the Kifaru hunting frame with composite stays and the reckoning pack with a couple of extra bags and a lid.

I also picked up a marsupial bino harness.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu