Success with Berger 6.5mm 140 Elite Hunter

NBK

Trying to be the man my dog thinks I am.
GOLD SITE SUPPORTER
Mar 8, 2011
San Diego, Ca.
I have been wanting to try some of the Berger 6.5mm 140 gr Elite Hunter's in the 6.5 SAUM. So I put some together last week and did some testing.

Did not take long - 4th load was a dandy. It measured .174". While this is a 100 yard target, more testing will need to be done at distance. All 6 loads shot in the .3's, one stood out handily.

The Lab Radar showed a 3000 FPS average which is perfect.

The load that will be tested further was 60.3 grains of H1000 over a GM215M primer. Final bullet seating depth was .011" off of the lands.

SAUMloads111-17.jpg 20171103_203402.jpg

thats not even fire-formed brass?
What rifle is this? Barrel length and twist?

thats not even fire-formed brass?
What rifle is this? Barrel length and twist?

Yep, new unfired brass. It's a Bighorn TL-2 action, 24.5" Bartlein 8.5" twist with a Darrel Holland Brake

6.5.png

What is your method for determining how far off the lands to start and test? Do you do this after a powder load has been established?

Just depends on the bullet. The Berger Elite Hunter is based on the Hybrid jacket. With that said, they are not as finicky as the VLD and some other bullets regarding seating depth. So I usually play within .040" off the lands. Usually work up a load, then pick the best few loads from the group, then start playing with depth thereafter. I guess I was just lucky on these rounds, 4th load was a winner.

Life is a lot easier when you have a rifle that shoots pretty much everything though. Makes the reloader look good.

Are you taking minutes for the barrel to cool between rounds or firing the entire group as soon as you're back on the target?

Consecutive shots until group is accomplished. Cool between each group.

Just depends on the bullet. The Berger Elite Hunter is based on the Hybrid jacket. With that said, they are not as finicky as the VLD and some other bullets regarding seating depth. So I usually play within .040" off the lands. Usually work up a load, then pick the best few loads from the group, then start playing with depth thereafter. I guess I was just lucky on these rounds, 4th load was a winner.

Life is a lot easier when you have a rifle that shoots pretty much everything though. Makes the reloader look good.
Hi NBk , excellent data. Curious since I an playing catch up. Since I am little wacked because of my knee issue. I was reading white papers from several of the mfg website. Like Berger and the like. One white paper recommended .015-.030. from the lands. And because of extra added volume inside the cartridge. Added gun powder was required to maintain the equivlant internal pressure. And thus equivlant velocity. Fascinating stuff. From your testing of the hybrid bullets. How did you achieve your results.

It seems to me there are some light pencil marks near those holes.... sure you didnt pencil punch those?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu