Switched to copper and went 3 for 3 in So Cal.

Deerdon

Oct 9, 2014
Poway, CA
I know there is still a year left but we decided to get a jump on this state wide copper thing. I was shooting a Browning A-bolt 270wsm, and loaded up some Barnes 110grn TTSX's. My friend is shooting a 257 Weatherby mag and went with the 100grn TTSX's. With those two rifles, there were three bucks taken. The A-bolt with the 110's was a 250 yard shot. First buck with the 257WM was at 280 yards and the second buck was just under 400. Two shots were behind the shoulder and the third was a neck shot....and all were BANG- FLOP kills.
As a side note, I have never had ANY factory ammo shoot and group as well. We both went down a bit in bullet weight and were able to get some amazing speeds. 270wsm w/110's-3510fps and the 257WM w/100's-just over 3600fps. I also loaded up some Barnes LRX 129's for my 270wsm X bolt (3352fps) and the thing is an absolute tack driver!
IMG_0255.JPG IMG_0148.JPG IMG_0176.JPG

.IMG_0255.JPG IMG_0148.JPG IMG_0176.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Nicely done and good shooting. Congrats on the kills and finding good load.

I won hundred percent agree with that TTSX. I shoot the 130s out of my 270 win also get quarter inch groups in a Tokka 3 lite. Can’t wait till next year I’m actually going to get a rifle tag in California.
Great work man

Very nice bucks, especially that last big boy.....My SIL shoots that copper TTSX stuff and it pretty much whacks his bucks.

Great bucks! I did the same thing this year going to all copper using hornady GMX...but I hear nothing but great things about the TTSX.

Thanks for the great report. It's great to know that the bullets we will 'have' to use are ones that we will 'want' to use.

Reactions: NBK
Nice bucks!

Can you explain the wound channel for each deer, shot location ect..... I love the accuracy on my load for the TSX 130gr 270 and my VG in 204.
I just find hitting bone or 18" of animal is the only way to fly. I'm glad to hear factory ammo is better.....about TIME!

Nice bucks!

Can you explain the wound channel for each deer, shot location ect..... I love the accuracy on my load for the TSX 130gr 270 and my VG in 204.
I just find hitting bone or 18" of animal is the only way to fly. I'm glad to hear factory ammo is better.....about TIME!

Mark try the TTSX or the LRX. The polymer tip initiates expansion and shock to the animal much quicker.

Reactions: NBK and Deerdon
Great bucks, that last one is a monster! Nice shooting, well done.

Nice bucks!

I actually called Barnes and asked about their three bullets (TSX,TTSX and LRX). I was told that the TSX and TTSX are virtually the same, however the TTSX has a polymer tip that increases BC and improves expansion. He went so far as to say that...if there wasn't such a following for the TSX, they might drop it all together because the TTSX is the "same but better." I'll include a link to a Barnes video that explains everything. Pay particular attention around the 3:30ish mark, as it shows a slow-mo video of one of their bullets hitting a small tomato and fully expanding. No bone or shoulder needed with these new and improved bullets. True, the copper bullets do need more speed than traditional lead to expand and, for the longer distances, they came up with the LRX which expands at even lower velocity. So....I then asked <if the LRX expands even better, why not just use that one." I was told that at VERY fast speed and close in, the LRX might tend to break a petal off. Well, I'm OK with the possibility of loosing a petal so that's why I loaded the LRX's in my X-bolt. Unfortunately, that was the only one I didn't get to try out.
As far as wound channels on the bucks we took. All were pass throughs with a small hole in and a quarter/plus size hole out. The first one quartering away and was hit behind the shoulder taking out a rib. It clipped a lung and the back of the off side shoulder. I was surprised at how little bloodshot the meat was...however the one lung was mush! The next buck was also hit behind the shoulder, hitting ribs on the way in and out. Same results. The last was hit in the neck breaking the spine. This may seem odd but I was most impressed with the performance of this one as it was a direct hit on the bone but did not explode and turn the neck into jello. There was the same wound channel....small hole in and quarter sized hole out with minimal bloodshot damage.

Check this video out...
https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...B51E5608B9EB13AB10FCB51E5608B9EB1&FORM=VRDGAR

The Barnes bullets work amazing. Probably one of the more accurate hunting bullets on the market too.

And very nice display of ungulates...

Reactions: TRICER
TTSX and LRX are great bullets. I load them in all calibers now. I just wish I could get a bulk discount. $40 for 50 kind of stinks what I do is just pick up a box here and there and next thing you know I have a couple hundred on the shelf. Congrats on the deer great bucks.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu