this might be a stupid question?

Jdrivsd619

Train Hard. Hunt Harder.
Feb 6, 2015
Jamul
I can't seem to find regulations on hunting ground squirrels or at least shooting them? While hunting deer and coyotes i am always seeing squirrels in San Diego. Obviously im not going to blast a squirrel while on a hunt, but what about for off season target practice? Is this frowned upon or just pointless?? I hear tree squirrel is pretty tasty??

Tree squirrels are considerd game and the season ended the last weekend of January. Ground squirrels are considered non game rodents can be taken year round and are freaking fun to shoot. Especially if you can find some rocks where they pop out of. Grab your 22lr and a chair and have a great afternoon. Don't eat the ground squirrels. Here is a link for ground squirrels
http://californiaoutdoorsqas.com/tag/squirrel-hunting/

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    350.4 KB · Views: 35
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    312.9 KB · Views: 35
Tree squirrels are illegal to take in SoCal (another dumb law)......Kern Co. is about the farthest south they can be taken.

Ground squirrels on the other hand are great off season to shoot......All ranchers appreciate it too....... ;)

Attachments

• IMG_7733.JPG
    IMG_7733.JPG
    695.9 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_7734.JPG
    IMG_7734.JPG
    667.7 KB · Views: 39
8SteelTown said:
Didn't think you were allowed to shoot from a vehicle?

I guess technically squirrels are a mammal (rodent)........But don't tell this to about anyone that shoots on private land......Also shooting across the hood would be technically illegal in California too. Another common practice while shooting ground squirrels.

So the bottom line is......It's not illegal to shoot from a vehicle on private land, but shooting at a ground squirrel is (F & G code 3002)...... :-[

ps......Just found this......So are ground squirrels a game animal? (mammal).

Carrying a loaded gun in a vehicle on a private road?

Question: I know that it is not legal to have a loaded gun in a vehicle when on public roads and in areas accessible to the public, but what about when on privately owned property where all access is controlled via locked gates? (Scott H.)

Answer: You are correct that it is against the law to carry loaded guns in a vehicle when upon or along a public way (Fish and Game Code, section 2006 and Penal Code 25850). When behind locked gates, however, there are no laws preventing this, although common sense and safety should preclude doing so. Many of the hunting accidents we investigate are caused by people getting into or out of a vehicle with a loaded firearm. Despite this allowance, it is still unlawful to shoot at any game bird or mammal from a motor vehicle, even when on private property (FGC section 3002.)

8SteelTown said:

I dont see a bullet flying out the barrel in the picture and I cant see in the magazine. Therefore the logical answer is that unloaded rifle is being rested on the side mirror of that vehicle on private property. :p

Truduct said:
8SteelTown said:

I dont see a bullet flying out the barrel in the picture and I cant see in the magazine. Therefore the logical answer is that unloaded rifle is being rested on the side mirror of that vehicle on private property. :p

That's cute.

17HMR w/ballistic tip would be the rimfire option and 204 for centerfire barnes VG

We went over this car shooting last year with yotes its confusing to say the least......

Something else to think about........Rimfire shells will be OK with lead till 2019........And there's an outside chance that it could be exempt.

I love my Savage .17 HMR............ :)

Attachments

• coyote 2-20-12.jpg
    coyote 2-20-12.jpg
    357 KB · Views: 25
Do you have the bolt action? I saw they just came out with the semi and they're saying it WORKS! Looking to get one.

Savage Mod 93 bolt action......I'm not wild about auto rifles.......It seems everyone is enamored with the Ruger 10/22.....I guess if you like to shoot fast and often. It's a cool gun......For hunting purposes, I like the bolt action rifles.......2 cents

Ps.......My daughter like the autos............lol

Attachments

• shooting 7-28-13 003.JPG
    shooting 7-28-13 003.JPG
    681.9 KB · Views: 39
Congrats Johnny,

Love those kind of pix on the "ground grizzlies"....... ;D

Attachments

• DSCF0095.JPG
    DSCF0095.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 28

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu