Time to hunt SD

Sdhunt17

Dec 25, 2017
San Marcos
Hello guys, im Chris.

New to hunting in the area. Got caught up fishing around here. Going pick up a 22. Im in love with rifles, going to play with that then get a turkey gun and eventually a .308. Was in the army and miss walking on patrols. Looking to do some overnighters.

Looking to hunt CNP any maybe pendleton, if they let veterans in. Was also interested in some private/membership areas. Any info will help.

Looking forward to being a part of this community and learning alot. Hope to meet you guys.

Last edited:
Welcome and Pendelton is a good place to start if you have an ID. Just stop by the game warden office and they will answer any questions you have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to SCH and thanks for your service. What part of SD are you located, and what are you looking to hunt?

Im located in san marcos. Looking to hunt a little bit of everything. Gunna get my shooting back and start with some small game. But like fishing down here. If you can catch fish here you can catch fish anywhere.

Chris,

Welcome to SCH......There's plenty of opps here in San Diego north county.....Cleveland National Forest, Lake Henshaw, San Felipe Wildlife Area, and BLM lands are all within 1 hour of where you live (I live in Esco).....You also have Imperial County within 2 hour driving time.....Things chance quickly here. So scouting is a must, if you're going to be successful (pretty much like anywhere else).....The IV offers, quail, pheasant, doves year round (Euros), rabbit, and ducks/geese at the Wister Wildlife area.....Lots of jump shooting places as well.

As far as a membership to a hunting type club....We have a club headquartered at Lake Henshaw.....It's called MCC (MY Country Club).....The cost is $3,000.00 per year ($250.00) per month) for a single membership.....I think a family membership (family under 18) is $3,500.00.....That includes 1 buck (3 points on one side, D-16,), 3 turkeys (spring only), doves, rabbits, quail, band tails, varmints, ground squirrels, ducks/geese on Lake Henshaw, and fishing the lake.....About 50,000 acres.

Hope this helps a little and thank you for your service,

Steve

ps.....Lots of rules here in Cali.....So ask lots of questions and read the regs thoroughly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sdhunt17
Welcome Chris. First thing is you gotta take the Hunters Safety course in order to get a license.

Welcome Chris,
If your looking to shoot small game, more than just plinking, I would look at 17 HMR instead of a .22. Three times as humane at twice the distance for a few $$ more.
Good luck.

Welcome Chris,
If your looking to shoot small game, more than just plinking, I would look at 17 HMR instead of a .22. Three times as humane at twice the distance for a few $$ more.
Good luck.

Youre the second person to recommend the .17 HMR. Thank you. I can see your points.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu