Tips for painting decoys?

SurfNHuntSD

Oct 1, 2013
San Diego
www.sandiegoturkey.com
I need to rehab my decoys a bit.. searching for some tips on painting and generally bringing my spread back to life. No funds right now to buy a new set, so I'm looking just to get some fresh color on the beaks and heads at least. I've seen some decoy-specific paint sets but those can be almost as expensive as buying new birds. Any low cost ideas you guys use? Any good sprays (PU maybe?) for the plumage to give some pop? 49223c8bb7c7c69b0fb2755ebab5f1c9.jpg

Just my two cents, but those dekes look good. In the old days duck hunters just floated a piece of cork or wooden blocks out there. Some times I think the colors are as much for the hunters as they are for the ducks. Anyway, like I said, just my $.02.

Reactions: SurfNHuntSD
if they are close enough to see the detail in the paint they are dead.

its cool to paint them and there are a few amazing companies like https://www.facebook.com/DecoyAddiction/
that do amazing things

next time you look at ducks sitting at 100 yards they pretty much look like blobs on the water. if i was going to touch mine up i would hit the contrast patches and call it good :)

Reactions: SurfNHuntSD
Just my two cents, but those dekes look good. In the old days duck hunters just floated a piece of cork or wooden blocks out there. Some times I think the colors are as much for the hunters as they are for the ducks. Anyway, like I said, just my $.02.
Roger that.. yea they bring in some ducks OK. I think you're right, it's probably more for me prettying them up haha. May just be the nasty mud down there making me want to spruce em up.

Reactions: Sigalert2012
Jason,

I love painting my older decoys each summer.....Wal-Mart has an array of small paint colors that can do the beaks and some blue areas on certain decoys.....I almost always make the white look clean.....I use flat house paints in the quart size.....Black tails are normally done with .99 cent Wal-Mart spray can.....I don't have to tell you to use only flat paints on most body parts.

ps.....To do drake mallard bills.....Combine green & yellow.

.026.JPG 025.JPG

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu