Total Newb

Cody_2ZZ

Aug 7, 2014
Hey all, I'm a new hunter currently taking the Hunter's Ed course. I've been shooting all my life, but have never hunted (beyond terrorizing the neighborhood squirrels and birds as a kid ;D) so I'm a little lost as to how to start. I'm in the San Fernando Valley, so there doesn't seem to be any super nearby places to hunt. Currently, I'm interested in upland bird hunting, though I'd be doing it without a dog. I'm here to basically get all the info I can, regarding both the legal/proper way of doing things and technique. Cheers!

Hey buddy welcome. I'm also in the Sfv. I hunt all kinds of upland. Pm me and let's start with some rabbit? Dove is comming up fast and quail is not far off

uplandfam said:
Hey buddy welcome. I'm also in the Sfv. I hunt all kinds of upland. Pm me and let's start with some rabbit? Dove is comming up fast and quail is not far off

I'd be interested in some rabbit. Where do you hunt around SFV?

its not "around" but the closest i have found and some one PLEEEASE tell me if there is closer is either the back side of the angeles near palmdale area or the los padres. I usually can atleast pull a few cottons out of the los padres about 100 miles to the hunting areas.

Do you hunt with shot gun, rifle or bow? the area i hunt rabbit are not open enough to use a rifle well but it can be done. I love to try to sit in a field and get some rabbits at 50-100 yards or so but usually its beating the bush with shottys. I cant give away my really good spots but its always fun times getting new hunters out int eh field. I have 2 young hunters and 2 adult hunters in my family this year.

Cody, I would SERIOUSLY take Uplandfam up on the offer if you haven't already. Not many people would reach out immediately like this. Lots of knowledge and experience. Welcome to the site! Make sure you use the search tool and navigate around and read previous posts. Good luck to you.

I like getting new guys out an supporting the new guys with just. Small teaser. I was fortunate enough to be an avid out doors man long before I started hunting so I ha a leg up I already knew where to atleast start looking for quail and rabbit and what not so I have a decent starter spot that with some work turns out a few animals with a little work. It where I've started every new hunter so just rest assured I'm not giving away any good spots that they have to work for.

uplandfam said:
I like getting new guys out an supporting the new guys with just. Small teaser. I was fortunate enough to be an avid out doors man long before I started hunting so I ha a leg up I already knew where to atleast start looking for quail and rabbit and what not so I have a decent starter spot that with some work turns out a few animals with a little work. It where I've started every new hunter so just rest assured I'm not giving away any good spots that they have to work for.

I'll definitely give you a ring when I finish up my hunter's ed and get legal! Thanks! By the way, I shoot regularly in the Angeles National forest and have been doing so since I was a kid, and I grew up in Lancaster, so I'm familiar with the terrain out that way. There are certainly a lot of upland birds to be had.

About us

• SCHoutdoors was created in January of 2011 by a few people who love the outdoors. The main goal is still the same – bring people together who enjoy the outdoors and share their knowledge and experience.
    Outdoors in the West, Hunting gear reviews, Big Game, Small Game, Upland Game, Waterfowl, Varmint, Bow Hunting, long Range Rifles, Reloading, Taxidermy, Salt WaterFishing, Freshwater Fishing, Buy-Sell-Trade on Classifieds and Cooking/Recipes
    All things outdoors…come join us, learn, contribute and become part of the SCHoutdoors community.

Quick Navigation

User Menu